Monday, January 12, 2015

The Sun Even Shines

You know that saying, "The sun even shines on a dog's butt some days." I'm sure you've heard it. But you probably didn't know there's another variation. "The sun even shines on Liars UnAnonymous butts some days." Uh huh. It's true.

After all the hubbub and hoopla and stormwatching and doomcrying about a major ice event...I went to bed last night with the temperature at 34, not a single school closing on the news channels, and not much hope for a day off on the morrow.

Because I've been running willy-nilly seeing to the care of my mom, I knew I would not have time to whip up a delectable supper this evening. So after I arose at 4:50 a.m. thanks to Hick's alarm, I shoved a meatloaf in the oven while I packed lunches for The Pony and myself. A meatloaf I had patted out last night at 11:30 before I went to bed. I must say, I love the smell of meatloaf in the morning. I had just enough time. That meatloaf cooked while I took a shower, and then it was time to spread the top with ketchup, and pop it back in the oven. And do you know what happened while I was ketchuping my meatloaf?

MY CELL PHONE ON THE COUNTER BUZZ-BUZZED.

Only a teacher can fully appreciate a text at 5:23 a.m. on a wet January morning.
NO SCHOOL!!!

So while those Liars UnAnonymous were stumbling all over themselves in stormwatch mode, cutting to the lowest-on-the-totem-pole Liars on various overpasses, with cars driving normal speed on wet pavement behind them, declaring that IF ONLY the temperature had been one or two degrees lower, by cracky, we would have had us a rip-roarin' ice event...Val was actually being dismissed from school because there was ice on the roads of her school district. Not Backroads roads, of course. That's where Val lives. Heh, heh. THAT district had to go to school.

You know how every party has its pooper? Well. Val's party had more than its share of poopers. It was a regular poopfest. Starting with the lollygagging pooper himself, Genius, who took a shower, plopped down on the long couch in his underwear while I reclined in the La-Z-Boy with a throw and an afghan. "You really should have gone. There is no reason for you to be out of school today. NOBODY is out."

"Yes they are. The cold was coming from the west. I guess it got there at the same time as that drizzle this morning. Because the schools who border us on the west are out. Besides...why are you trying to get rid of me? Why do you begrudge me this snow day, much like you begrudge me your unconditional love? What do you have planned."

"Nothing. I'm not trying to get rid of you. I don't mind that you're home. It's just that you don't DESERVE a snow day."

Same thing with my sister the ex-mayor's wife when we drove T-Hoe to visit Mom in the hospital. "I don't know why you're out. Nobody else is out. Well. My daughter's school is out. But you are about the only two. Now the other schools will get out a day ahead of you this summer."

"Oh, please! We were supposed to get out May 12th. I don't think a few snow days tacked on are going to set us back much. Nothing like last year."

I'll be darned if every place we made a stop, and Sis explained that we just had today to gather our information and make a decision by tomorrow concerning Mom's rehab facility, that the people didn't say, "WHY are you out of school?" And look at me like I was some kind of uncouth purse-stealer. Like I had faked the snow day and texted all the branches below me on the phone tree.

I wonder if any of those Liars UnAnonymous felt the thaw on their rumpuses this morning.

7 comments:

  1. Sioux had school today, I don't know why you wouldn't be open.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I doubt those liars felt the thaw. They're too insulated from criticism.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That 5:23 call was for ME. That snow day was MINE! You thief!

    ReplyDelete
  4. joeh,
    I sense an underlying denial of my unconditional bloglove.

    *****
    Stephen,
    I see what you did there!

    *****
    Sioux,
    AS IF! Just because one finds oneself in the possession of the purse of another does not mean one is a veritable unmitigated categorical consummate thief.

    *****
    Linda,
    Not that I'm flaunting it or anything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. some people just like to rain on your parade

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathy,
    When I really want them to snow on it.

    ReplyDelete