Monday, January 19, 2015

He Walks in Duty, Likes the Night

Hey! Something is afoot here at the homestead!

Just when you think your supernatural activities are on the wane, all not-heaven breaks loose again.

Genius was home for the holidays. He was sickly most of the break. Which meant he stayed home all but two days, and was in bed at a reasonable hour. I just assumed those noises I heard in his room were him. Like the turning in the bed, and the footsteps to and fro. Perhaps he had gotten up for the bathroom, or to get his medicine and a drink from the kitchen. That's what a reasonable person would assume in a house with a noisy bedroom that was occupied.

On a day that Genius was feeling up to snuff, when he made an all-day trip to visit a college pal, I thought I saw something. Darkness had not yet fallen. It was late afternoon, a cloudy day. Genius has a bedroom with a wall of windows facing the west, the front of the house. He leaves his shades open, and the door to his room open while he's gone. I was on my way from living room to kitchen when I spied it out of the corner of my eye.

It looked like a person in Genius's room. Not with clear features, like that headless man I saw in the basement years ago. But the size and shape of a person, with a body and head, kind of a gray color. I turned my head to look into the door of Genius's room. That gray person stepped over against the inner wall to avoid me. Uh huh. It didn't fade away like that headless man. It hurried out of my sight.

I did NOT go to look inside the room.

I didn't tell anybody. Maybe it was a trick of the light. Maybe I had a floater in my eye. I'm sure there was a reasonable explanation. Genius returned home after 10:30 that night. The usual home-Genius noises occurred above my head as I sat downstairs in my blue recliner watching the big screen TV.

So Genius packed up and left us on Thursday. I was kind of busy visiting my mom, and tired in the evening, so much so that I fell asleep in the chair, oblivious to any real or imagined noises.

Saturday night and Sunday night, around 8:30, with The Pony on his basement couch, and me in my recliner, we heard footsteps thumping around upstairs. Hick was gone to the auction from 6:00 to 10:30. The footsteps were not as heavy as his footless ankle-stumping.

"Did you hear that?"

"Yeeessss."

"It's waiting for you to go upstairs."

"Maybe."

"It sounds like it's in your room."

"I know. It's been doing that all afternoon."

"Doesn't that bother you?"

"I try to ignore it. I heard it before, but I pretended it was Genius. Then that one night, when I went up to take my shower, I was on my way to the kitchen to get some ice water, and I saw something in the hall, between my bedroom and Genius's. It was white or grayish. I don't really remember the shape, because I saw it out of the corner of my eye, and I just thought, 'HUH?' And I backed up to get a better look, and it was gone."

"I'm going to pretend any future noises are you getting up in the night."

Just this evening, around 6:05, with me in the living room ensconced in Hick's La-Z-Boy, and Hick out test-driving T-Hoe for a new rattle, and The Pony in the basement...we heard a loud THUMP in the kitchen. Kind of a cross between a THUMP and a BANG. Like a can of biscuits exploding in Frig II. Or a two-liter soda bottle falling off the kitchen counter.

"I have no idea what that was."

"I don't WANT to know."

"I heard it yesterday afternoon, too. In the same place. Nothing there."

"Well, now you heard it again."

The Pony is not much help during Val's investigations. I've half a mind to revoke his Mystery Inc. membership card.




8 comments:

  1. Your house sounds as creepy as our townhouse. We hear weird thumping around all the time. At least we can blame it on neighbors and thin walls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a Gremlin, and it's looking for slaw!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that title a little Will.i.am Shakespeare? Or am I still groggy from my extra day off?

    ReplyDelete
  4. As long as he walks in duty and not doody I'd leave him alone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. joeh,
    Never glance out of the corner of your eye. Never.

    *****
    Stephen,
    That does not mean I'm going to set out a dish of slaw.

    *****
    Sioux,
    How dare you have a day off without me! It's supposed to work the OTHER way. I believe it is ironic that we worked on Monday because it was scheduled on our calendar as the first make-up snow day. Whereas you are lacking in snow days, but had Monday off. Even Steven is a real comedian.

    Let's hope I don't miss President's Day as well. Except that would mean at least a couple more snow days in my future.

    *****
    Leenie,
    He seems to be a sentry, patrolling between the bedrooms of Genius and The Pony. But he HAS been spotted in their bathroom as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He Who would take out a wall or take up the floor to find it. Bring Juno in and see if she sees or hears it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is certainly going to extremes. I'm sure that thing can pass through walls and floor.

      My sweet, sweet Juno would bark all night. Even more of all night than she does outside.

      Delete