Sunday, January 25, 2015

One, One, One Post In Two

Hey! Anybody here grow up reading Highlights?

You know, Highlights. The kids' magazine. I couldn't wait for them to come in the mail. I think my favorite section was the hidden pictures. I just tried one online. Oh, SIT, as The Pony might say. I only found 12 out of 16. And even after the hints, it took me another ten or fifteen minutes to find the remaining four. I don't think they gave us enough practice on those things in Valedictorian School.

Anyhoo...my second favorite part of that magazine was Goofus and Gallant. Am I the only one who wanted to smack Gallant and mess up his hair? Goody-two-shoes, running with his scissors pointed down! Oh. Wait. I'm sure Gallant WALKED with his scissors, while Goofus sped through the house, scissors pointed up, just daring fate to put an eye out. I know we were supposed to get a different message, but sometimes ya just gotta go with the bad boys. Most of the time, however, I viewed them all smug in my smugness that I was Gallant, and my sister the future ex-mayor's wife was Goofus. After all, she was the one who ran in circles, tethered by her upper arm in Mom's vice grip, to escape the wrath of Mr. Wire Flyswatter Handle.

Today, Val pays homage to Goofus and Gallant with two vignettes from her interactions around Backroads this weekend.

GALLANT
Today I went to a local grocery store looking for minced garlic. I forgot it at Walmart, and Thevictorian kitchen is about to be as fresh out of minced garlic as the Jerk Store is out of their best seller, George Costanza. I wheeled my too-big cart up and down the aisles. I bought french bread, grape tomatoes, a variety pack of chips for my school lunch, sugar-free Jello, and BBQ sauce.

At the check-out, the girl asked how I was doing. I told her I couldn't find minced garlic anywhere. I looked on the produce aisle around the onions. I looked on the condiments aisle around the peppers and horseradish. I looked on the Italian aisle along the sauces. I looked on the spice aisle along the garlic salt. No minced garlic.

AND SHE TOOK OFF TO LOOK FOR IT!

Left me right there conversing with the checker behind me who was counting out her money. She thought it was on the condiment aisle, but my runner found it in the produce, at the end of the bin containing bananas. Go figure.

So she got to ringing up more of my order, and found a hole in the bottom of the bag containing my french bread. Did I want to get another one? Yes. Yes I did.

AND SHE TOOK OFF TO GET ME ANOTHER LOAF OF FRENCH BREAD!

Kudos to the GALLANT checker! There just might be a letter to the manager about her above-and-beyondness.

***************************************************************

You'll have to tune in tomorrow for the rest. This ol' cow can't be givin' away so much milk for free.

7 comments:

  1. When you encounter good service these days it does deserve being commented on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in Walmart recently and a guy in the produce section was so polite and friendly, I called later and spoke to the manager about him.

    This is strange. Two efficient, helpful Walmart employees going above and beyond? What is the world coming to?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a checker like that in New Jersey...once. I think it was in 1963. She has since retired, now we only have gum whackers who if it were not for scanners would just stand there and say DUH!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is shocking behavior! Bet she made your day!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! for the gallant checker. Just glad I wasn't waiting behind you with a full bladder and melting ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well-well, l they are at your beck and call. What kind of power do you wield out there?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stephen,
    I seem to reckon...back in my day...when it was the norm. Not the exception.

    *****
    Sioux,
    NO! You know that cannot happen without the world should stop revolving, spinning slowly down to die. My worker was in a regular supermarket, not Walmart.

    *****
    joeh,
    Okay, that gave me a mental picture of that gal in the Animal House movie. The checker who lets Pinto/Larry Kroger/Thomas Hulce walk out with his sweater stuffed with steaks.

    *****
    Kathy,
    Indeed she did. I'm surprised that the National Federation of Questionably Qualified Grocery Checkers did not revoke her membership.

    *****
    Leenie,
    Not half as glad as I am. It's not like I was wearing my hose-able Crocs.

    ******
    Linda,
    I'm not exactly Mayor of the Munchkin City. More like the Wicked Witch of the West. What passes for being at my beck and call is actually stone cold fear.

    ReplyDelete