I had just finished typing up yesterday's tale of the laundry room invader when Hick came in from mowing the front yard/field.
"I have to go back to town. One of the ladies is locked out of her apartment."
"What's the rush? Isn't there a key box for that?"
"It's her door. She says she has her key, but it won't unlock. It just keeps turning, but won't let her in. So I need to go see about it. She's sitting outside."
"Well, it's 70 degrees. She's probably fine."
"Yeah. There's a nice little outdoor area for them. But I don't want her unable to get into her apartment."
Of course no complaint from one of Hick's Harem is ever as it seems. They conveniently or inconveniently or obliviously leave out certain details. Which I discovered later that evening when Hick returned.
"So how did you fix her lock? Put on a new doorknob? Was the lock messed up, or what?"
"No. She wasn't strong enough. It was the deadbolt. She had the key in her hand. She'd turn it left to unlock, but that's what locks it. So then she'd turn it right, but there's a catch in it. She couldn't turn it hard enough. I put the key in and it worked first time. But she couldn't. So I fixed it so it didn't catch."
That call was on Wednesday. We'll see if it can carry over into a Harem-free Friday.
I have a similar "catch" with my front door, but it seems to be weather related, in really hot weather which the door is exposed to, it will catch, but I am still able to turn it. If it gets worse I will have Housing replace it. I could ask for it to be fixed, but they never do that, they just rip out and replace.
ReplyDeleteI think Hick said he did something to line up the tumblers, but I could be totally making that up. Sometimes I don't listen to the technicalities.
Delete