Sunday, November 3, 2019

Part 3: The Blind Leading the Val With 20/20 X-Ray Vision

Getting back to our four-part series I like to think of as A Day in the Sweet Life of Val Thevictorian, Small-Town Celebrity...

I left Walmart, the scene of the thinner-shouter and the name-dropper, and headed for the School Turn Casey's (now under renovation) for some scratchers.

The first thing I noticed upon entering Casey's was that the checkout counter was in its third location. The second thing I noticed was the clerk. He was Big Red, the big red-headed dude who was there when I brought back the extra $10 that the old lady clerk had given me in change a while back.

I could tell Big Red remembered me, even though I've been scarce around the School Turn Casey's during renovations. He was extra nice, making small talk over the cacophony of power saws and jackhammers. Big Red took my money (no change needed) and shared some advice as he handed me the tickets. He held up the aqua-colored 100,000 Jackpot.

"Now don't forget to scratch the second chance on the back."

"Oh, I always remember that."

"And on this one...[the new St. Louis Blues ticket]...there's an extra chance up here on top."

"I have the app for my phone, to scan the bar code. I've missed a couple, so I always check."

"The other day, I decided to buy the last one on the roll. I was done scratching, and I'd won five dollars. When I scanned it, the machine said FIFTY-FIVE dollars! Good thing I won that five, or I would have thrown it away!"

"Yeah, I bet that happens a lot. They probably plan it that way! Thanks for telling me."


That dear, sweet, Big Red! Helping me out, like I haven't scratched about a thousand more tickets than he.

10 comments:

  1. That would be helpful information to a novice scratcher like me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I thanked Big Red. His heart was in the right place.

      Delete
  2. It would be helpful to me too, if I was to start buying scratchers again. Maybe in my next lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been in a slump, as evidenced by my lack of bragging here. My boys did well on the scratchers I sent them for Halloween, though.

      Delete
  3. I'm in a slump on the scratchers too. (Oops! I wasn't supposed to tell you that I gamble a little too, was I?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is hardly information that would make me think less of you. I will not report you for violating the Truth in Blogging Law through the act of omission.

      Delete
  4. HeWho will sometimes buy a scratcher and give it to me to scratch. Not very often, as mine are always losers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid I would have to point the finger back at the buyer! Hick has an extraordinarily long losing streak, and I would never ask him to buy my scratchers.

      Delete
  5. I think you must be the luckiest scratcher around your neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I think I do okay in the long-term. But as I was smugly cashing in a $20 winner last week, the lady behind me cashed in a $100 winner!

      Delete