Monday, January 8, 2018

Val's New Year Is Off to a Centsible Start

Look away! Look away, antipennyites! This is NOT the post for you. It's all about the riches which have been bestowed upon Val already, only one week into this new year. I apologize, pennyphiles. It has been six days since I last shared a penny find with you. But the pennies kept a-comin'.

Here's a summary, before we get to the pictures. Oh, there have to be pictures! Pics or it didn't happen, Genius always says.

DEC 31, 2017 Sunday: Walmart crosswalk, 2000

JAN 01, 2018 Monday: Backroads Casey's, parking lot, 2014
JAN 01, 2018 Monday: Backroads Casey's, sidewalk by door, 1994

JAN 07, 2018 Sunday: Orb K, parking lot by metal sewer lid, 2003
JAN 07, 2018 Sunday: Orb K, floor by counter, 2014

Notice that my pennies seem to have doubled up. Two at a time! Same day, same business. AND...I don't want to brag...but I've also found non-pennies! Let's start with that, shall we?


On Saturday, December 30, I stopped at Backroads Casey's and flung open T-Hoe's door, hoping to find a penny. Nope! No copper glint for me. But I DID see a flash of silver.


A SPOON! I did not pick this one up. I'm not trying to become a Future Spoonillionaire. Or even a Future Utensilillionaire. Also, Hick might be jealous, and I have to keep the peace. Besides, you never know what that spoon was used for. Taking prescription cough medicine? Cooking heroin? It was an odd find, but this finder had no desire to be the keeper.

Now on to our pennies.


#1 - Walmart crosswalk. That made a pretty picture, don't you think, with the colorful stripes and shadows? I saw it at the last minute, headed into the store. Can you spot it? This penny-finding isn't for rank amateurs, you know. Or the hard-of-seeing.


I'm sure people stopped at the stop sign were cursing me for not walking while they waited. HAR HAR HAR! As IF people actually stop and wait!


#2 - Backroads Casey's, on a frigid day when I had to take off my gloves for the picture. It was a surprise I wasn't even looking for at the time.


Good thing I parked where I did, or T-Hoe would have been on top of it.



#3 - Backroads Casey's. This one was harder to spot, as I was shivering in the shadow of the building as I walked toward the door.


I actually went on in and switched out my scratchers, and took this picture on the way back to T-Hoe, while clutching those scratchers in my teeth. Just my teeth. No mucous membranes were compromised with the germs of others handling those tickets. Besides, I was already sick when I went to town on this day.


#4 - Orb K, from my rightful parking spot by the differently-abled walkway with the crooked big metal sewer grate. Gotta look close!


Right there in the 'V' of the walkway stripes.


#5 - Orb K, inside by the counter, right-side register. I surreptitiously took a snap while the clerk was bent down behind the scratchers area. Don't want them thinking I'm a secret shopper, inspecting the store for cleanliness. Though I will commend them, as a former convenience store clerk myself, on the 'facing' of their product on the shelves.


As if I wasn't having good fortune enough that day, with TWO pennies found at Orb K...on the way out, I found A DIME on the foot-wiping rug, where there had been no dime before. I didn't get a picture of it, because I would have been blocking the door. But I DID stop long enough to pick it up and put it in my pocket.

So there you have it. In the past week, I've found five pennies, an unclaimed spoon, and a photo-less dime. My goblet floweth half full.

For any antipennyites who have made it this far...SEE? That didn't hurt, did it? You made it without me sugar-coating this copper medicine. Without me putting it in a spoonful of pudding, or pinching your nostrils shut and holding your chin closed.
___________________________________________________________________

These were pennies # 78, 79, 80, 81, and 82 in total.
For 2018, # 1, 2, 3, and 4.

That's right.  From when I started picking them up and counting them around March of 2017, I found 78 pennies for the year. We'll see what 2018 brings.
___________________________________________________________________

14 comments:

  1. With 78 cents, you could buy... What COULD you buy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today you could buy a nickel candy bar!!

      Delete
    2. with 78 cents she could buy 15 nickel candy bars and still have four cents to be starting over with.

      Delete
    3. If I could find a nickel on the floor to put with it, that 78 cents could buy me a 44 oz Diet Coke at Orb K!

      Fishducky,
      Inflation is a terrible thing!

      River,
      I wish I could find a nickel candy bar!

      Delete
  2. Do you ave to declare these pennies on your taxes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure that's required, along with gambling winnings (to the extent of gambling losses).

      I still have a $1000 scratcher winner to report from 2017. They take out federal taxes on that when you cash it in at the lottery office, and give you a W2-G. For the pennies, I'm on my honor, I guess. But everybody knows that Val is honorable!

      Delete
  3. This is definitely a good start for 2018, at this rate you will easily break your old record. And just a thought on the spoon, maybe you should collect the silverware that you find and save it for your guests like Sissy who demands real silverware when you have already provided a whole box full of genuine plastic utensils...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think I can break my 2017 record. That's a great idea for the silverware. A LOANER SPOON! Maybe I should put it on one of those long chains, like a bank ink pen. Anybody remember those?

      Delete
    2. That is a really good idea, a loaner spoon on a long chain. Oh yes I remember those pens chained to the counters.

      Delete
    3. We still have those chained to the counter pens in banks and post offices. I always carry my own pen though, in case they don't work or are all in use.

      Delete
  4. I suspect you will be a pennyillionaire long before I am. Mostly because we don't use one cent pieces anymore, not two cent pieces either. Our smallest coin is the five-cent piece and there's talk of doing away with those too. Which would be a shame because I sometimes find one and think I'm having a lucky day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They won't dare take away your lucky day chances! What kind of karma would THAT be? And for a whole country, too.

      Delete
  5. Do you clean your hands after you pluck the pennies up? All I can think about lately is germs and where I might have picked up this flu bug!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. If I did that, my Future Pennyillionaire fortune would be squandered on Germ-X.

      I clean my hands after Walmart and the cart/walker pushing. But not after every penny, nor every convenience store. Not unless a clerk coughs and sneezes while handling my change or tickets. I still abide by my out-on-the-town protocol of not touching my hands to my face before washing them.

      Delete