Monday, October 30, 2017

Happy Halloween From HOS's Boy

Saturday night, we had a hot dog roast and hayride.

Hick hitched up his trailer, threw several bales of Barry the mini pony's and Billy the goat's hay on it, and hit the gravel road for about 45 minutes. The hot dog roast was first. Of course the kids weren't hungry. They wandered around looking for something to do, while the older (dating) kids sent them to supposedly cook them another hot dog. The adult consensus was that they were being given busy work to disappear!

We also had giant square marshmallows. They were meant for S'mores, I'm pretty sure. But none of that fancy stuff at Val's hayride. Those behemoths were perfect! You can roast the outside, then peel of the charred skin to eat, and put the other part back in the fire to cook some more. I think I got 7 layers of deliciousness off those big marshmallows!

HOS (Hick's Oldest Son) brought his boy, but his wife had to work this time. I think the kid is ready for Halloween.


He had a good time wedging himself in between some firewood stacks by the gate to the goat pen, and jumping out at his little girl cousins when The Veteran (Hick's second son) told them to go climb on the gate and see if the goat was in there. Yeah. That's kind of a dirty trick. But pretty funny. Kids like to be scared, you know!


The fire was perfect for roasting both fat hot dogs and square marshmallows, and kept us warm in the windy low-40s temperature. The flash of my camera does not do it justice. The orange glow was beautiful.


HOS rode down from his house on the 4-wheeler, and spend some time warming his knees. He says he's wearing next year's shorts.

A good time was had by all, and after the hayride, the kids were famished! They clamored for hot dogs, after Hick had put all the food away. He got the hot dogs out of the BARn refrigerator, but the buns were in the house. I offered to go get them, but the kids said they didn't like buns. They also apparently like raw hot dogs, because after one pass through the flames, declared their hot dogs roasted. I doubt they were even warm yet. But WE were. Thanks to the fire.

Happy Halloween! Don't get tricked!

12 comments:

  1. I thought I was the only one who loved raw hotdogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do I see a penny by that fire?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I WISH! I think it was wood chips that kept popping off the wood as embers. Or maybe charred remnants of several giant square marshmallows that HOS's son caught on fire and commenced to swinging, making me fear that I was re-enacting that scene in Dennis the Menace.

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrfcFrhe-CY

      No way would I have missed a penny! I would have held the kids upside down and shook them if I thought they had pennies in their pockets.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a really fun time, those giant marshmallows sound better than any old smores, I mean how many smores can you toast, then peel off a layer and then toast again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. George Costanza should have tried to market Roasted Marshmallow Skins instead of Pudding Skin Singles!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. The weather didn't really cooperate, but since I sat by the fire talking to HOS instead of riding on the trailer, I was fine. The kids didn't seem to feel the cold, due to their excitement.

      Delete
  5. Val--I encouraged my son to eat raw hot dogs. It's the "green" way of preparing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And think of all the laundry detergent you saved, due to him not wearing shirts! You brought him up "green."

      Delete
  6. One pass through the flames is how my older son likes his steak. I fully expect that lump of meat to Moo when he cuts into it.
    Hot dogs are different, they're pre-cooked before being packaged and sold so the kids will be okay eating them.
    Glad you all had a great night :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might prefer my steak passed through the flame three times, but he's right, cooking it too long will ruin it.

      The Veteran told one of his daughters, "No, you need your lips and buttholes warmed up more than that." Yet surprisingly, she STILL ate two hot dogs! I guess she's still too young to pay much mind to their ingredients.

      Delete