Sunday, October 8, 2017

Sunset, Son Rise

Last Thursday, I enjoyed a spectacular sunset during my evening driveway walk.

Good thing I had taken my phone outside, as this magnificent display was not in the forecast. I had put my phone on the corner of the Gator, which Hick has taken to parking behind his 1980 Olds Toronado, almost under the carport roof. Hick was gone to a volleyball game, and I figured if I fell and broke a hip, I could probably drag myself back to the Gator and reach that phone, easier than I could drag myself up the steps, around the porch, and into the house.

On the first lap, I could see that the sun was preparing to set. When I made my second turnaround down by the Gator, the picture was ready for taking.


This was the best one. I figured it was pretty good for an old lady who can't see without her glasses, has no knowledge of how to compose a photo, and is using a hand-me-down Nexus of questionable age that replaced my former cell phone due to a dip in the toilet. So proud was I, in fact, that I sent the picture to Genius the next night, while I was snacking the dogs on the front porch after my walk.

"Sunset last night."

Of course, being Genius, he dutifully sent a response.

"This is what I saw in College Town."


Well. What do you say to THAT? I said all I could say:

"OK. You win."

Genius is pretty good at winning, as long as it's not sports we're talking about. Friday evening, he sent me a text.

"Just got off the phone with my recruiter. Asked for more salary compared to what I'm worth, and I got bumped from $ -- k to $ -- k [an increase of $3000], plus doubled my signing bonus to $ -- k. Gonna sign my offer tonight."

Yes. Our little Genius has a job waiting for him when he graduates in December.

Hick and I, in the sunset of our lives, are excited for the dawn of Genius's career.


15 comments:

  1. Sometimes it's the phone that helps make the photo spectacular. I have an android. My 11-year old granddaughter has an iphone (the most recent one, as of last year, I think) and she takes way better pics than I do.

    I'm sure it's all because of the phone and not my failing eyesight and lack of artistry...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Genius recently got a new phone that just came out. It's his second new one since I got his old phone, and the first one he's PAYING FOR HIMSELF!

      Yes. I'm sure the phone is all to blame.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful photos and such a delight to capture no doubt. Greetings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apparently it is good to be a genius.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh No he didn't! Your sunset is far better.
    Hooray for the job though and the good deal on salary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my sunset is more colorful, which was most likely due to atmospheric conditions in Backroads as opposed to College Town. However...Genius's sunset seems to be more dramatic.

      Genius is ready to get his working life underway!

      Delete
  5. Your sunset photos are quite lovely. And congratulations to Genius on the job with a nice salary and signing bonus that awaits him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. With Genius's job awaiting him...I feel like, "One down, one to go!"

      Delete
  6. Your photo wins! Wow, congrats to Genius. Funny isn't it how the circle of life continues? Now sit back and enjoy the sunsets of your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obviously, you have good taste! I'll relay your congrats to the soon-to-be working man. Every evening, I sit back and reflect on how good I've got it.

      Delete
  7. I agree, your photo is more dramatic. After I download my photos, there is a program on my computer that lets me edit them. I can adjust the content and cut out parts of the background and also adjust the color and exposure. It is extremely satisfying to see our children succeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to have something like that, but then Genius upgraded my computer to the new OFFICE or something that won't do crap for me in the Photo Viewer thingy. The old one was better! Genius meant well. I'm not blaming HIM. Just those dumb Microsoft people.

      Delete