Saturday, April 4, 2015

A Little Fresh, a Little Canned, a Little Flesh Charred From My Hand

Val ran Croc-shod over the kitchen all day, preparing an Easter Eve feast for the return of the methodical son. He is coming home not to bask in the love of his family, on the first holiday without his grandma, when his mom has gone all-out to nourish him with his favorite foods...but to bring home a piece of photography equipment, and pick up an electronic gewgaw that he ordered from China and had sent here.

Genius's ETA is 5:00 p.m. Everything is ready to eat except the rolls. I shall not make my hungry family wait another hour after the announced meal time while I finish up various dishes for those who won't eat normal holiday feast food.

We will be supping on ham, hash brown potato casserole, bacon-wrapped green bean bundles, deviled eggs, carrots/onions/potatoes roasted with the ham, broccoli/cauliflower/carrots with Hidden Valley Ranch vegetable dip, olives both black and green, pepperjack cheese, and hot rolls. I hope the food coma does not prevent Genius from driving back this evening. I believe I will be able to roll myself down the steps to my dark basement lair to reunite with my New Delly, who has been neglected this afternoon while living-room Shiba fed my computer addiction.

Yes, all is well in the land of Backroads. The house smells tantalizingly of ham and bacon, the egg smell being banished by a hazelnut cream candle before noon. A near-tragedy occurred when Val almost vaporized the three middle fingers of her left hand in a steam accident when loosening the foil on the green bean bundles. She quickly doused them with ice-cold well water from the kitchen faucet, thus preventing permanent disfigurement and life-threatening infection. Perhaps the smoky preservatives in the bacon CURED (see what I did there?) her ailment. Right now it is simply tingling, and not throbbing. It's gonna hurt like a mothe sonofa the dickens when she slides the rolls in and out of the oven and that heat hits it. Even through the oven mitt.

I don't think it will hinder the speed at which I stuff my face with food.

10 comments:

  1. Well done! See what I did there?
    Only you could turn such an accident into an MTM take-off title.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will there be any leftovers? I don't think I can get there by 5:00!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Clever (albeit painful) title!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry about the burn, but it sounds like you're creating quite a feast. Happy Easter to you and all of your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. MY Genius--a few weeks ago--drove in for the weekend so we could drop him off at the airport for a week in Puerto Vallarto (spelling). Then he got stuck in Chicago during a freak snow storm (why did it miss us?) and had to rent a van to get back to St. Louis so he could then drive back to Kirksville.

    It's nice we're around to feed them, do their laundry, bake them a bag full of goodies... Otherwise, what purpose would we serve?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, the sacrifices and burn offerings we make in the name of love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have missed your humor while basking in the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry about that steam burn but your menu sounds delicious.

    So does the food.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Val--I forgot to ask. The title... Were you makin' whoopee? (Nilsson does it best, by the way.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. joeh,
    Yes, Grasshopper! You are learning! Props for the title recognition, too. Keep this up, and you will be getting a letter saying you are worthy of mention in the first edition of "Who's Who in Val's Obscure Pop Culture Reference Recognizers."

    *****
    fishducky,
    Yes, leftovers aplenty, even after Genius took provisions back to college. I love titles. You will need to demonstrate your Seinfeld capabilities before I can put you at Joe H. levels, but kudos for the MTM appreciation.

    *****
    Stephen,
    Thank you. It's now my standard go-to menu for holidays. I am sorry that I did not have time for The Pony's favorite: Oreo cake.

    *****
    Sioux,
    I hope he at least got in his tropical week before the snow storm fiasco. One more service we provide: chauffeuring. At least your laundry duties were lighter for many years, considering that he did not wear shirts.

    *****
    Leenie,
    Heh heh. I see what you did there.

    Linda,
    Let's see...basking...multitasking work responsibilities and family duties and humor...I think you got the better end of that deal.

    *****
    Catalyst,
    I FORGOT THE DESSERT!

    Forgot to mention it here, not forgot to serve any. We had individual strawberry shortcakes. Store-bought, of course, because I had quite a few other dishes to prepare, but I DID slice and macerate the strawberries. AND we had REDDI WHIP! Yeah. Not the oil in the tub, but the dairy product in the spray can. Genius LOVES strawberry shortcake and Reddi Whip.

    *****
    Sioux,
    No whoopeemakin' here. Nor was there a rogue elephant trying to shuck a peanut costume off me. Your shot in the dark, Madam, was way off the mark, and is still hurtling through the night, seeking a proper target.

    You get an A for effort, but you will not grace the pages of "Who's Who in Val's Obscure Pop Culture Reference Recognizers" alongside Joe H.

    ReplyDelete