Friday, October 10, 2014

You Need a Microscope to See the Real Thing

The Pony is not known for his artistic ability. Sure, he can write science fiction and fantasy like a champ, and he's a winner and second-placer in the Voice of Democracy speech contest, and he blared a trombone for five years. But when it comes to creating visual artistry with his hands, he's been a bit of a bust.

Until now.


Lest you think this is simply a bit of whimsy, The Pony's rendering of a hazardous section of floor marked off when Augustus Gloop lost his before-dinner snacks and after-dinner snacks...let the record show that it was a school project. For a grade.

For those of you who are not scientifically inclined, let the record further show that this is a cell. Though it has the rigid structure of a plant cell, it is indeed an animal cell. You can tell by the lack of a cell wall and chloroplasts. I find the rough endoplasmic reticulum particularly appealing.

The whole project had to be edible, which explains the cut marks for serving it up to his classmates. Real animal cells do not have their cytoplasm divided into rectangles.

When Genius did this project several years ago, he used a big cookie as the base. The Pony asked his grandma to make him her famous Rice Krispie Treats with peanut butter and a hard chocolate icing. At first leery that she might cause an untimely death, Grandma made The Pony swear that no kids in his class or using his desk have a peanut allergy.

The Pony reported that his Cell Krispie Treat was a rousing success. And that once upon a time, a kid had created his cell with a slice of white bread and raisins and mustard and ketchup, and other organelles not nearly so tasty as Kit Kats and Rollos and Twizzler Bites.

The project only cost me $25. I have a feeling The Bread Cell was a bit less.

7 comments:

  1. Some of its visual element are unresolved, but I bet it still tastes great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't care what he is depicting. It has chocolate, lots of chocolate, including my favorite: Kit Kats. He gets an A.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Pony gets all the glory, the accolades...and all you get is the bill.

    Ain't being a mother a -----?

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I first saw the image I thought maybe you were hot flashing and craving chocolate. Now that's a science project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stephen,
    Baby steps, Mr. CC, baby steps! Compared to previous artsy ventures by The Pony, this one is a Cezanne.

    *****
    Leenie,
    You are well on your way to making the Christmas Chex Mix list.

    *****
    Sioux,
    Well, some have told me I'm a -----..." But they didn't mention a bill.

    *****
    Linda,
    Wait! You mean some people don't crave chocolate ALL the time? That, indeed, should be an experiment.

    Ironically enough (stop me if I'm not using "ironically" in the proper manner), I do not like the Rice Krispie Treats as constructed by my mother. Too heavy. If I want heavy, I'll have some of her Mississippi Mud cake. No, this Krispie thing is just not my cup of tea. I like my Rice Krispie Treats with just krispies and marshmallow. I shall call them Klassic Rice Krispie Treats.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is he graded on taste or creativity? Or both?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kathy,
    I'm pretty sure he's graded on creativity, because even that bread-mustard-raisin boy reportedly got 100.

    ReplyDelete