Monday, October 13, 2014

Back to the Old Handbasket Factory

Last night around 7:30, The Pony and I sat down to watch our DVR of The Amazing Race. More like he draped himself across the couch cushions with his laptop, and I cranked back in the recliner. The Pony was out on the town Friday night, and missed our show. I watched it an hour later, and fell asleep before the end. So we were both stoked to be time-shifting our program.

We were scarcely ten minutes into the Race when The Pony jumped up off the couch and said, "You'll need to pause that for a minute. My friend needs me to call." This was quite forceful speech for The Pony. Normally, he would ask, "Do you mind pausing? I'm going upstairs to get something." But of course he'd never leave in the middle of The Amazing Race. When he returned, I had to get the scoop.

"What's going on?"

"I had to go out on the porch to call my friend. You know my phone doesn't work good in the house. She needed somebody to talk to her for a few minutes."

"I don't get it. How did you know to call her? Where's she from?"

"Somewhere around St. Joseph. I met her at MSA this summer. I was texting her on a program on my laptop. But she needed to talk to somebody on the phone. She was out for a walk, and a car started following her. It stopped beside her twice. She didn't look in. She kept walking. But that second time it made her really nervous. She turned and walked into a field. The car took off. She hid in the field for about 20 minutes, and didn't see the car again. So she wanted me to call her and talk to her until she got home."

"That's TOO scary! Wasn't any of her family at home?"

"I don't know. They might have been asleep."

"What were YOU going to do if that car came back? You can't help her from here!"

"I don't know."

"What if somebody grabbed her and took her phone, and saw that you were the last person she was talking to, and they tracked you down because you're a witness?"

"I don't know...but that's not likely."

Let the record show that The Pony chose the writing classes at MSA. He doesn't remember what major his friend was in, but it wasn't writing. So much for my theory that she was working on a horror story. Maybe The Pony can use it for literary purposes.

That's some scary stuff.

7 comments:

  1. Or maybe someone was looking for an excuse to talk to the Pony...no I guess not, a girl would never resort to such subterfuge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like he could use some training in journalism, too. Like...facts, facts, facts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope she's okay. It's a scary world out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Val--And you always crow that The Pony doesn't ever bend over backwards to help someone else.

    Maybe it's true love. Truuuue love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of three things was going on: a ploy, a plot or possible foul play. Pony likes her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Sioux, the Pony is smitten.

    ReplyDelete
  7. joeh,
    All a girl has to do is tell The Pony, "I want to talk to you on the phone," and he's there! No need for subterfuge.

    *****
    Catalyst,
    The Pony never lets facts get in the way of a story. He's his father's son.

    *****
    Stephen,
    I know! That set my heart to beating its thin blood quite quickly.

    *****
    Sioux,
    There must be something to it, because, like you remembered, The Pony is not much for helping people.

    *****
    Linda,
    I think the young lady might like drama, and The Pony is an easy fish to reel in.

    *****
    Kathy,
    I'm starting to think so. This is a different summer chick than the one who told The Pony, "Stop emailing me!" Good thing she never gave him her phone number. He was crushed, but now seems to have rebounded.

    ReplyDelete