Wednesday, October 1, 2014

But What About the Children...'s Hair?

Hey! Remember Hick's Little Barbershop of Horrors? He's still got big plans for it.

Last week Hick bought a little something for his sweetie at the auction. Oh, heavens no! He didn't buy anything for ME! No auction meat. No black-with-white-speckles roasting pans. Nada. He did, however, buy his barbershop a kerosene heater for six dollars. SIX DOLLAR HEATER? I hear you all shouting that like the "New York City?" salsa cowboy. Yes. Hick is putting a six dollar kerosene heater in his barbershop.

"Six dollars? There must be something wrong with it. You'll all die of carbon monoxide."

"We're not going to die of carbon monoxide, Val."

"Don't be so sure. Every combustible form of heat gives off carbon monoxide. Even a wood stove. And I believe your barbershop is a tin shed with no windows, and a door with two doorknobs. I don't see any chimney out there. Where is that carbon monoxide going to go? Besides into the lungs of you and your non-paying customers and the health inspector?"

"I'm thinking about getting one of those doors with the built-in window. Then I'll have some light in there, and a way to look out."

"But it doesn't open. Carbon monoxide isn't going through the glass."

"We'll be fine. I got a new chair, too! It was only a hundred dollars."

"You already HAVE a barber chair! Down in your safe room."

"The one with the wooden seat and wrought iron? That's a shoeshine chair, Val. Not a barber chair. But I do have another barber chair up in the BARn loft. It's more of an old beauty shop chair. With that lever you use with your foot to pump it higher. Here's my NEW barber chair."


"You've got to be kidding me! That's not a barber chair! It looks like a Mickey Mouse chair. See the ears?"

"Well, it might be a kid's barber chair! I wondered why it didn't have a head rest."

"Barber chairs don't have headrests! How are you going to get to the hair? Wait! The guys who go to the barber shop don't have much hair. I guess that explains it."

"No, Val. The headrest is adjustable, so you can have something to hold your head when you get leaned back for a shave."

"Oh. We don't do that where I get my hair cut."

"Yeah, and I wondered about that foot rest, too. It seemed kind of small. Now I see it. It does look like ears."

"Where is that?"

"It's over in the BARn workshop right now. Until I put it in the barbershop. I might put in a drop ceiling. I'm going to run an 11-inch board around the top and put old Tonka trucks on it."

"Good luck getting any customers way out here. You know, don't you, that the health inspector will shut you down if you give actual haircuts."

"I'm not going to give haircuts. But I know a lot of guys who will come."


I'll keep you posted on the Grand Opening date.

8 comments:

  1. My first thought was carbon monoxide poisoning! Now you have to go out and spend $50.00 for a carbon monoxide detector.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're gonna have a of of fun stuff to blog about when all those guys come round for the non-barbershop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am somehow visualizing Floyd, Barney and Andy in that shop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, if a lot of guys will come, what will happen once they arrive and congregate?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just a thought: Maybe Hick could get an electric chair to go into his gas chamber, and then you can call it a Museum of Execution and charge people! Or Hick's Little Shop of Horrors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Birdie,
    I'm sure Hick can find a detector for a dollar or two at the auction.

    *****
    Stephen,
    I will peep through the mini blinds to see if there's any fighting outside the barbershop, then wait for Hick to tell me what went on inside. A lady does not enter a Little Barbershop of Horrors.

    *****
    joeh,
    Let's put Howard Sprague in there too. He always had a head full of flowing locks.

    *****
    Sioux,
    Tall tales that would put Paul Bunyan to shame, I'm sure.

    *****
    Tammy,
    Shh...Hick doesn't need any more ideas. And I'm pretty sure the execution business is regulated as well. I don't think you can just pick up an electric chair at the auction or Goodwill.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Had I only known I could have saved the stash of old metal Tonka trucks my son-in-law was given for his child to play with ....." Holy Tetanus" I shouted, you can't let him play with these! We sold them to a guy passing through. If only I had known about Hick!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kathy,
    Never fear! We have quite a collection from Hick's older two boys, and our two whippersnappers. A Tonka ain't lonely in a house full of boys.

    ReplyDelete