Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Terrible Cuts Defies the Laws of Physics



Is it humanly possible to cut hair so that it is longer than when one began snipping? YES! But only at the Terrible Cuts frequented by Val Thevictorian.

The Pony and I stopped in Sunday morning after our weekly shopping excursion. I should have known something was amiss when I saw the diaper laying on the waiting chairs. Yes. A diaper. Not a dirty diaper. Not one of those disposables that clogs the environment. Nope. A cloth diaper. Of the kind one might toss over a shoulder for burping purposes. Burping an infant, of course. Let’s hope no adult has burps of such magnitude that a catch-all is required. I turned to The Pony. “You can sit over there by your diaper.” He was not amused.

The Pony has never been attached to a cloth diaper. That was Genius. He used a cloth diaper as his security blanket until he was about 2 years old. Yeah. Maybe I had a hand in that. After all, when the object of his affection grew dirty, I switched it out with another. Easy peasy. Genius called it his “ine.” He might possibly show up on My Strange Addiction someday, confessing that he loves the taste of bleach, because he used to chew on that “ine” mercilessly.

Discussing Genius’s toddlerhood peccadillos is not rendering my hair any shorter. But funny thing is, neither did getting my hair cut!

As luck, or Even Steven’s grand plan, or the conspiring universe would have it, I was called for the first haircut. The Pony cooled his hooves far from the abandoned diaper. I should have known I was in for a Twilight-Zone-episodesque treat when The Cutter asked if I was letting my layers grow out. I assumed she meant my hair layers, not the ever-expanding adipose layers that make Val her zaftig self. Since this was the same cutter who cut me at my last cutting, shouldn’t she have been able to discern layers where layers should have been? And not assume that I was growing them out like old-lady Cher, to one length suitable for sitting upon?

The Cutter said, “Oh, you want an inch off?” Normally, I tell them 1-2, but since telling them an inch means they hack off a mile, I nodded. You know. One last chance to move my head before the slashing started. And that’s when it got weird.

I know The Cutter cut off cuttings. Stuff fell to the floor. It could only have been my tresses. I don’t think cutters carry throw-downs like cops, just to provide evidence that they have actually cut off some hair for the payment. The Cutter pulled down on the bottom strands. Compared in the mirror to see if the coiffure or my head was lopsided. Then she asked how I comb my bangs. At least she didn’t ask IF I comb my bangs. “Do you normally comb them over to the side like this?”

“Yes.”

Then The Cutter proceeded to slice from my bangs a hank the exact thickness of a gnat’s wing, while they were swooped over in a tasteful alignment that favors my lovely lady-mullet. Except that no cutter ever, in the history of cutting, including this cutter the last time she cut me, has ever trimmed my bangs with them combed in my normal manner. The cutters always pull some hair up on top of my head, and comb those bangs down straight, using my eyebrows, which are starting to favor those of the late Andy Rooney, as a benchmark for trimming. Apparently, there has been a policy change in the manner of cutting bangs at Terrible Cuts.

I swear, when I looked in the mirror at home, after the frou-frou blow-out comb-out had wilted on my head, I could not tell that my hair had been cut. In the shower the next morning, it actually felt LONGER than it did the day before. How can that be? In what bizarro world is hair longer after a haircut? Only in Val Thevictorian’s world, it seems.

So here I am, parading my lengthened hair for all to see at parent conferences. If I don’t have many visitors, I am going to begin working on Val’s Theory of Cut-a-tivity. There has to be a reasonable explanation. I smell a Nobel Prize simmering on the back burner.

9 comments:

  1. Why not go back and ask them to trim a bit more? I've done this several times and they happily do so without extra charge, and I'm not even a Victorian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to go there for a cut, do you think they could make hair where no hair exists?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe has the question of all men our age covered, so I'll go for a tangent: a mullet is a fish, native to the gulf of mexico. How did it come to describe a hair style? And will it grow larger if I catch one and help myself to a fillet before releasing it? This could change things in the fishing world.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Empress has a new haircut, eh?

    Perhaps after you retire, you could open your own hair salon. You be the madam--the boss lady--and your stylists will be taught the art of pseudo-cut. They could perfect the sneaky throw-down of tresses to throw off their customers' suspicions. They could measure the length their customers "lose" in anti-inches.

    I would pay big bucks to get my hair NOT cut.

    What would be the name of this establishment?

    ReplyDelete
  5. My beautician does the same thing, trims and trims and trims and then when I look at the floor expecting a shag carpet of hair, there's not even enough to stuff in a sandwich bag. I think they must be thinning our hair.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a really great comment written. But I cut it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh where, oh where
    Has reality gone?
    Oh where, oh where can it be?
    With my cash cut short
    And my hair cut long
    Oh where, oh where can it be?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stephen,
    What kind of barbershop do you think I frequent? Sure, guys like Hick with just a smattering of hair might go back to sit for four hours on a Saturday morning for free further-trimming. That doesn't fly with the gals. And it's been eons since we had a good fight on the parking lot.

    *****
    joeh,
    Only if you approach it like you're wanting electrolysis. Then they will make sure that you are extra-hairy.

    *****
    Fish More,
    Here's my theory of the "mullet." I went to college with a gal who lived in Branson, Missouri. During the summer, she worked at a McDonald's in Branson. The locals were highly upset with tourist traffic down the main drag. It could take two hours to get from one end to the other. Locals referred to the tourists as "mullets." They were not being complimentary. If you know anything about the city of Branson, you can imagine how the name "mullet" evolved into the hairstyle favored by these tourists.

    As for your grand plan to fillet mullets and double or triple their size...they are not starfish. It's not like you can hack it to pieces (not that you don't know how to fillet properly, of course) and have each piece grow a whole new mullet. So sayeth the science teacher, who thought she knew a little something about how the world works, until she got that long haircut.

    ******
    Sioux,
    The name will be: Don't Come Back Here Thinking We're Going To Trim Up Your Recent Haircut For Free.

    ******
    Linda,
    I think they really want to be paid for conversation, and that hair on the floor is what they clean out of their comb after grooming you during their paid conversation.

    *****
    Catalyst,
    Well, if you had trained at Terrible Cuts, your comment would be several pages long. After cutting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Leenie,
    Maybe you can bring a guitar and serenade me the next time I get a long haircut. Bring a pillow to sit on. There's not going to be enough hair clippings to cushion your buttocks.

    ReplyDelete