Monday, July 21, 2014

Cat On a Hot Wood Porch

How have I enjoyed my summer? Let me count the ways. Um. I can't even get to "Number one..." Oh, wait! That's right. I haven't enjoyed my summer. Except for the being alive part, that is. I guess the glass of summer really is half-full.

Here's what a summer should be:


Yeah. You might think that some skunk ran up on the boards Hick had left over after patching the soon-to-be-walked planks around by the kitchen, and laid down and died about a week ago, and is now bloated and ready to explode. But you would be wrong.



You might think an errant child invaded the grounds while we were away, and left his stuffed animal as a calling card. But you would be wrong.

You might think an obese capuchin monkey escaped from a lonely old woman who bought it on the black market to make a monkid out of it and feed it french fries and dress it in frilly frocks. But you would be wrong.

That is our extremely obese cat, Stockings, snoozing as he does for about 23 hours and 45 minutes each day. He was kind of on his back, with his feet balancing his rotund body to keep it from rocking back and forth in the breeze like a barrel bobbing over Niagara Falls.

THAT is what a proper summer should look like. Summertime...and the snoozin' is breezy.

9 comments:

  1. Any summer above ground is a good summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a cat? I thought it was a bear cub.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I want to do is sleep lately. I can fall asleep upright in the chair at my desk, but get in bed and turn out the lights and I am wide awake! I wish I could sleep like a fat cat! Mr. Martha favors sleeping on his back, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear the Showboat comin' 'round the bend...

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have been fostering the son's cat while their new house is being built. This cat is going to return home fatter and friendlier. All he does is eat and sleep and nuzzle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. joeh,
    I must agree with you on this one. Don't think I'm going to make it a habit.

    *****
    Catalyst,
    All he needs is a hammock. Slung very low to the ground.

    *****
    Stephen,
    He's a hefty fellow. But I can't see him snagging salmon out of a fast-flowing creek. He won't even bat at the big goldfish in the fake fish pond.

    *****
    Kathy,
    Your bed is too crowded. I daresay a sardine would feel cramped. You need a trundled bed to pull out for extra snooze room.

    *****
    Sioux,
    And it's carrying Jerome Kern and Oscar Hammerstein, all jacked up and ready to start a rumble with George Gershwin and DuBose Heyward, over the rights to their song "Summertime," which JK and OH want to steal for their own Broadway musical. That Showboat is pulling Tennessee Williams in a little rowboat right behind the big paddle wheel. He's looking for Val to take issue with her fast and loose interpretation of his title.

    *****
    Linda,
    Cats are all about the amenities. He may not want to go home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh crapola. Of course--that was from Porgy and Bess, not Showboat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sioux,
      You must have learned that from The Encyclopedia of Common Knowledge. Do not shun my BFF Google.

      Of course, what you DON'T know is that little Val Thevictorian spent her 7th and 8th grade years singing show tunes out of paperback pamphlets for the nuttier-than-a-fruitcake choir teacher.

      We were as corny as Kansas in August, high as a kite on the Fourth of July, driving our surrey with the fringe on top past the corn as high as an elephant's eye, whistling a happy tune, climbing every mountain until we found our dream.

      Yes. We cut our wisdom teeth on Rogers and Hammerstein. We also got a healthy dose of Gershwin, whether we needed it or not.

      Delete