Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Eeny Meeny

Val does not like to disappoint. She's a giver, you know, always putting the needs and wants of others ahead of her own. So it is with heavy heart that she breaks the following news, sure to upset her biggest fan and tireless promoter.

There is a book signing May 3rd for Not Your Mother's Book...on Being a Mom. Val will be unable to attend.

Oh, I thought about it. Got all pumped up. Even broached the subject with Hick, my steadfast chauffeur. And then...and then...I realized why that date sounded so familiar. So important. It's the day of our school carnival, a yearly event, a big to-do, with a parade at noon to kick off the shindig. The Pony and his trombone will be marching that day.

This parade will be bittersweet, because it will be The Pony's last. He cannot fit band into his schedule next year. Language III, College Algebra, Advanced Biology, Chem II, Geometry, Trigonometry, and Psychology/Sociology will be filling up his school day. In fact, to fit those in, one will have to be a web class. I hate it that the one class The Pony loves will be excluded. There's no way around it. Students in this honors track are unable to take band. It's the only overtly social activity that tickles The Pony's fancy.

Life is full of tough choices.

7 comments:

  1. Is he going to graduate HS with his Doctorate?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I will stop construction on that fence section I was making--specifically for you.

    (My arm was getting sore hammering in all those nails anyway...)

    I will be missing it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard to imagine someone giving up something they love, but as you say sometimes you must make hard decisions. Sorry you won't make this book signing but hopefully there will be others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do not fear my dear, you will have a second opportunity as Dianna and I are releasing mine (and hers again) in June. A last pony parade is something to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I will say it again .... you are a good mom! Putting the needs of others before your own. Soon the kids will be all grown up and Hick can spend his time driving Val from book signing to book reading to interviews.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry you and your Chex mix won't make it, but everyone loves a parade, especially with a Pony in it. And literally his last hurrah!

    ReplyDelete
  7. joeh,
    Not if Genius has a say in it. The Pony is just taking the honors level, college prep classes offered at Backroads High. Some of them are dual credit. You pay tuition, and the kid gets college credit that will transfer and save them time and me money when they graduate and head off to college.

    *****
    Sioux,
    So sorry that the size of fence required to shield my identity caused an injury to the arm you use to (unsuccessfully) pry your head out of the faculty restroom sink, then dial 911. I suppose all those folks who insinuated I had a big head were right. Of course, MY head never got stuck in a faculty restroom sink...

    *****
    Stephen,
    From your fingers to Linda's eyes! Looks like you were psychic about other book signings. The Pony will bounce back, I suppose.

    *****
    Linda,
    Did you get a conference call from Even Steven and Chatterbox Stephen? Because I don't believe in coincidences. Last night we went to The Pony's next to last concert. Time is winding down.

    ******
    Kathy,
    You are so kind. It's obvious you have not interviewed my children! As for Hick driving...he will be driving me crazy first. But that's new material!

    ******
    Tammy,
    I didn't think I'd have enough Chex Mix to go around at that one. The Pony will be Oom Pah Pahing to beat the band.

    ReplyDelete