Saturday, June 23, 2018

I Know the SusPENCE Must Have Been Killing You

You can stop holding your collective breaths. VAL HAS FOUND A PENNY! In fact, she has found TWO this week.

TUESDAY, June 19th, I spied a copper beauty on the sidewalk next to Casey's propane cage. Of course I stopped for a photo.


And of course I stooped to pick it up, not even caring that my ample rumpus was almost in the face of the skinny (and short) guy who had backed into my favorite parking space, and was loading items in his trunk. I didn't pay attention to what he was loading, though that's usually something that doesn't happen at Casey's.


This was a face-down 1995 model penny for my Future Pennyillionaire collection.
______________________________________________________________________

THURSDAY, June 21st, I spied a lurking penny as I stepped up to the counter at Orb K. I shoved my $20 scratcher winner at the clerk. "I'm trading this winner in for more." Normally, they scan the winner, announce the amount, and ask if you'd like anything else.


I was surreptitiously sneaking (as opposed to bold-faced sneaking) this photo, when I was jolted from my clandestine picture-taking by that old gal asking, "Which tickets do you want?" BEFORE she had even scanned the winner. That's like putting the cart before the Pony. Or getting the beans above the frank! I swear she was just trying to mess with me. Luckily, I had already memorized the numbers of the tickets in her display, and rattled them off, then got my closeup, and snagged the penny.


This was a 2014, also face down. Which seems to happen more than 50% of the time for me.
____________________________________________________________________

I also washed Hick's stinky hat on Thursday, before going to town for my 44 oz Diet Coke, and a chance meeting with that penny. I picked up the OU hat with thumb and forefinger, and dropped it into the kitchen sink, where I had already started a foaming bath of Tide detergent and cold water. I swished it around, and left it to soak for an hour. THEN I went back, and actually rubbed around the elastic part of the hat band. I was wrong about it being a plastic notched adjustable cap. It was a LARGE/XL cap with elastic for the fit.

I know. I, too, gag at the remembrance of touching that stinking part of the cap. I drained that water out of the sink, and ran it full of cold water, leaving the hat again to soak for 30 minutes while I showered and got ready for town. Then I took it outside (after a cautious sniff) and posed it for a picture.


It cleaned up real nice. For drying purposes, I perched that cap on top of a mop handle (seriously, I have no idea where that mop came from, but it was leaning up against the wall of The Pony's room out on the porch) and Juno's dog house.



I left it hanging, out of the wind and possible rain, while I went to town. Hick brought it in later...and put it right back on the arm of the short couch. For now, it remains odorless.

_________________________________________________________________________

For 2018: Pennies # 49, 50.
For 2018: Dimes still at  # 9.
For 2018: Nickels still at # 2.

Since 2017 (the beginning), this was Penny # 127, 128.
Since 2017 (the beginning), this was still Dime # 15.
Since 2017 (the beginning), this was still Nickel # 2.
_____________________________________________________________________

9 comments:

  1. Perhaps when people tour the mansion and estate, they can opt for a hat cleaning? In fact, since you're so fond of naked feet, people could take their shoes and socks off, you could somehow contort yourself and scrub and trim their toenails and pumice up their feet while they're riding on the gator...

    You could advertise the tour as taking care of them from head to toe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For an extra fee, of course!

      YIKES! I was eating my supper, a bite of delicious SLAW, when I read that. As soon as I got to "scrub," my gorge began to rise. Nightmares are made of toenails and pumice.

      Delete
  2. Hand-washed? You HAND WASHED that stinky cap? Here, any stinky caps get tossed into the washing machine on a warm/cool/cold cycle along with anything else that can't be washed in hot water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a SPECIAL cap! Connected to The Pony's first year at college, and his National Merit scholarship activities. I didn't want to take a chance on ruining it in the washing machine.

      Delete
    2. Those caps are pretty tough, just don't use a hot water cycle.

      Delete
  3. here, I stow those stinkers at the bottom of the trash can and debate what HE did with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, heh. That could work for Hick's regular, everyday caps.

      Delete
  4. I've washed that type of cap in the washing machine--no problem!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least I didn't take it down to the creek and beat it with a rock...

      Delete