Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Prizes for the Prize

Surely you've heard of sweets for the sweet. Well, my Sweet (unrelated reference) Baboo has the same policy, only he seems to think the expression is prizes for the prize. Okay. He doesn't really. But I DO consider myself a prize. And Hick DID text me last week that he was bringing me home a prize from the auction. In his case, he really meant a surprise. But he shortens things like that.

For days I heard nothing else about my prize! Nada. If loose lips sink ships, the entire fleet of every navy on earth was bobbing above the water line. I refused to ask about my prize. I figured Hick would get around to gifting me when he was ready. Or when he remembered to unload his car.

Mid-week, I woke up to find my prize sitting on the kitchen counter. Let's just say I certainly WAS surprised! I moved it to the back porch for a photo session, where the rustic setting enhances the beauty of my prize.


It's a LEATHER STEIN, by cracky! That I can use to hoist my beers. Except I don't drink beers any more, being a reformed teetotaler since before Genius was born.

I'm pretty sure you've all gone past the leather stein already, and are curious about what's inside. At first, I thought it might be Billy Beer. Hick collects beer memorabilia, you know. But upon removal from the leather stein (I just can't type that phrase enough), I saw that it was not.


It's a can of CLINTON COLA! Can you read it? ONE TASTE TO COME BACK 4 MORE. Heh, heh. That's My Man Bill's picture on the front. Now don't anybody get all political on me. I'm not making a political statement at all. I've always enjoyed Bill Clinton. I don't care how many women he did not have sex with, or how many people associated with him suffered unfortunate, untimely, questionable deaths. He's MY MAN BILL, by cracky! I even like the John Travolta version of him in Primary Colors.

But there's MORE detail that I can't skim over, even while giddy at the though of MY MAN BILL sitting on my back porch railing.


Did you notice that my leather stein is embossed in gold, with POOR MAN'S STEIN? And has an engraved metal nameplate with RON on it?

I pointed out to Hick that I liked my prize, but that I'm not poor, I'm not a man, and my name is not Ron.

"I know that. I bought it for the soda. I know you like Bill Clinton."

Not sure what I'm going to do with my prize. Maybe Hick will build me a themed shed for it.

9 comments:

  1. That soda has to be worth a lot somewhere down the road.

    I'm pretty sure RON stands for Riter Of Note. (THe W is not only silent, but missing,)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd think there would be a collector for it somewhere.

      YES! I'm sure that's what R O N stands for!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Heh, heh! I might have an addiction to DIET COKE, but I am NOT going to sip 18-year-old cola. Not even for My Man Bill.

      Delete
  3. It looks like something that might be handy, can you fit a 44oz diet coke in it? Or you could strap it to your belt and use it to carry jars, (well, one jar) of alfredo sauce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, I don't think it adjusts to fit a 44 oz. Nor a jar of Alfredo sauce, but wouldn't THAT be a grand invention!

      Delete
  4. Hick knows you pretty well. If only he'd brought you gas station chicken, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully, he would not have left gas station chicken in his car for so many days before giving it to me.

      Delete
  5. I didn't know there ever was a Clinton soda!!

    ReplyDelete