Monday, June 25, 2018

A New Tactic: Kindness Part II

On the same day that I nearly succumbed to heat stroke at the store, after wrestling with T-Hoe's back hatch that wouldn't open due to Hick's one trip driving him...I almost succumbed to heat stroke AGAIN at the hands of Hick.

I was home again, pulling the big green dumpster up to the end of the driveway. You've seen pictures. It's a substantial dumpster. And a substantial driveway. About a tenth of a mile up, tenth of a mile back. It was pretty hot that day, you know. So Val was movin' mighty slow at 2:00, under the afternoon sun, eyes down against the glare, still wearing her town clothes and shoes. We'd been having thunderstorms in the evenings, so I wanted to get that dumpster out while it was clear.

Here came Hick on the Gator! I was almost to the end, ready to park that dumpster. Maybe 10 steps left to go. He was grinning like a Jack-O-Lantern. So happy to see me. Stopping to visit, while he was sitting in the shade of his homemade Gator roof, and I was treading on gravel, balancing a dumpster. Of course he didn't turn off the Gator. He wanted to chat, but I could hardly hear him, what with the motor running, and the dumpster wheels crunching on the gravel.

"I can't hear you over the Gator. I can't stand here right now."

I went on to park the dumpster. As I was turning it to the most stable position, so it wouldn't tip over and break the lid if another storm sprung up before morning...I heard the Gator pop into gear and start moving.

"Oh. Hick must be coming to give me a ride back down the driveway. That's so nice."

Once I situated the dumpster and turned around, Hick was parking under the carport! Uh huh. He'd driven back to the house, leaving me to walk. When I got there, after fending off a jumping Jack, who was dripping from a dip in the creek, I saw Hick sitting in the chair on the side porch. I guess he'd enjoyed watching me walk back. I felt like the classic description of a heat stroke victim, but my dripping flesh downgraded me to mere heat exhaustion.

"I can't believe you! I thought you were going to give me a ride back, but you just took off and left me. To walk."

"Oh. Well. I didn't know you wanted a ride. You always say you don't want one. So I was just making you happy, letting you walk."

"That's when I'm out walking laps, in my walking clothes, after the sun is down, the purpose being out there to WALK."

"Oh. Well. I'm sorry. I'll give you a ride next time."

There is none so kind as Hick who IS TRYING TO KILL ME, now with kindness!

13 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hick would be the best double-agent ever. He has fooled me for 29 years.

      Delete
  2. There you go, dissin' Hick, when all he wants to do is make you happy. All the time. Every day.

    Shame. Shame. Shame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I DO wear the Shaming Bracelet. Not as dramatic as a scarlet 'A', but I don't get away with dissin' Hick unmarked.

      Delete
  3. You really expect a guy to know the difference between walking clothes and schlepping clothes? I gotta side with Hick on this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bro Code in effect. Of course you'll side with Hick. You deserve to ride right beSIDE him in his Gator, as he sweaves around the grounds, from his partly-white picket fence, down Shackytown Boulevard, past his BARn, to his Freight Container Garage. I'm sure you'll make him very happy, as a new ear for his tall tales.

      Delete
  4. Gaaah; like Amy Farrah-Fowler says about Dr Sheldon Cooper, I'd like to slice open his brain and see what makes him tick. Or maybe it was Penny asking Amy to do that. (Big Bang Theory)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with finding anything after slicing.

      Young Genius once put his hand on top of Hick's head, moving it like a giant spider. "This is a brain-sucker. Do you know what it's doing? STARVING!"

      Delete
  5. Are you sure you're not married to Bud?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty sure. I haven't seen the marriage certificate in a while, but nobody has been laying across my bed POSING for me.

      Delete
    2. You mean the Paris nude photo?

      Delete
    3. I guess that's the one I mean...but the question makes me wonder exactly HOW MANY nude photos of Bud I might have missed!

      Delete