Wednesday, June 20, 2018

The Knowing Nose

Last night I sat down on the short couch to talk to Hick while my supper was warming. He'd been out all day, getting a haircut, checking on chemicals for Poolio, opening up his Freight Container Garage for back-creek neighbor Bev to do some shopping, and taking new items to his Storage Unit Store to get ready for Friday's business. Let the record show that temps hit 96 degrees, with a heat index over 100. In case you've never been to Missouri in the summer time...it's not a dry heat.

I heard Hick in and out while I was in my lair all afternoon. I supposed maybe he did some more lawnmowing, or took a dip in Poolio. His buddy didn't want to go to their regular auction, but Hick didn't know until afternoon. He'd said that morning that he would warm up some of the noodle/chicken/mushroom/pea/cheese/Alfredo experiment for his supper.

When I ascended to the living room around 6:30, I woke up shirtless sleeping beauty in the La-Z-Boy. During a discussion of my lottery wins (not much), Hick declared that he had bought himself a couple of tickets, and left them in the Trailblazer. He walked past me to go out and get them.

WHEW!

What was that STENCH? Something was rank. It smelled like a dirty butt. I figured maybe Hick got sweaty. But I thought he was wearing his SpongeBob boxers, and had been in Poolio earlier. So shouldn't stink. Let the record show that those boxers were a gift from the boys a long time ago, to lounge around the house, as we all know Hick prefers tighty-whities for his foundation garment. However, Hick wears them to swim in (when he wears anything at all), reserving his storebought orange swim trunks for hotel pools and hot tubs.

Anyhoo...I was almost gagging at the odor. When Hick returned, clutching his (losing) scratchers...I said pointedly

"SOMETHING smells terrible! It's enough to make me sick!"

I noticed that Hick was NOT wearing his Spongebob boxers, but white-and-brown plaid shorts. However, the stench did not worsen when he walked by me. Huh. I turned my head toward the La-Z-Boy, and it hit me.

THE RANCID ODOR WAS COMING FROM A HAT ON THE ARM OF THE SHORT COUCH!

Actually, there were two hats. Trucker caps. One camouflage, that had been there for days, balanced on a Puffs with Lotion box on the table, hanging over onto the short-couch arm. Now there was another cap stacked on top of it. Hick's OU hat. The one I'd gotten him when he and HOS (Hick's Oldest Son) went to watch a football game (I got a hat for HOS too) when The Pony was being honored with the National Merit Scholars before the game, having to walk out onto the field.

This hat is special, I think, because of the reason Hick got it. It's just a cap with white mesh for the back half, and a plastic adjustable snap band, with the front being crimson, OU's team colors. As I leaned a few degrees down to inspect that cap...IT WAS OBVIOUS THAT THE SMELL ORIGINATED THERE!

I swear, you can probably smell it over the innernets!

"Whew! It's your HAT! It stinks SO BAD! Smell it."

Hick leaned over and picked up both caps. He deeply inhaled the camouflage one.

"Nope. That doesn't smell."

Then the OU hat.

"Whew! That's it, all right!"

I told him to wash it, and then thought again. That's a special hat. I could imagine Hick putting it in the washer, on the extra-clean cycle, with hot water.

"No. Wait. It probably needs to be hand-washed."

"Yeah. That's what the label says."

"Just put it on the kitchen table. I'll get to it in a couple of days."

Seriously. It's not like we EAT off the kitchen table. And at least that stinky thing will be farther away from my nose. Because we all know how much time I spend in the kitchen...

8 comments:

  1. Kitchen table?? I'd suggest hanging it outside on a very high up hook where the breeze can get to it and blow off at least some of the stink. Then I might demand Hick shampoo his stinky head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most certainly a harsh taskmistress! Hick definitely needs some tough-love. Or in the very least, some tough-toleration.

      I'll have an update on the stink-hat Saturday, with the penny report.

      Delete
  2. I have to side with River on this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Hick's stinky head has broken the BRO CODE!

      Delete
  3. At least it wasn't that Alfredo sauce you might not have got all wiped up in the garage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I was extra careful to clean up that Alfredo. Not because I feared the stink, but because it made the concrete slippery. I dipped my broom (for sweeping, not my RIDING AROUND ON broom) in a rain puddle plenty of times, to scrub away at the pool of Alfredo, rinse, and repeat.

      Delete
  4. I think you should put it in a plastic bag, and then put that bag in another bag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, come on! It's not like a toothbrush knocked into a toilet. It's a HAT!

      It's not even a sardine can. Mmm...sardines! In mustard sauce! I love them. Hick hates them. He used to work with an old guy who ate sardines for lunch every day, and breathed it on Hick every afternoon.

      A plot for revenge is forming. For future infractions. I don't think the stinky hat was a conscious effort by Hick to wage war on Val.

      Delete