Thursday, June 19, 2014

One So Suspicous of a Helpful Neighbor Should Not Be This Trusting

My mom's switchover from cable to DISH and AT&T was completed on Tuesday. We think.

Mom has said since last week that the AT&T guy was coming on Tuesday. The DISH was already up and running for several days. Once her phone got switched over, she would be free of the encumbrance of cable for good. Or at least until she decides to give up her high-speed internet that The Pony enjoys so much.

Wednesday morning Mom told me all about it. "You know how I said the cable people were out front yesterday, with their lift truck, working on the pole in front of my house? And how the AT&T truck showed up a couple hours later at the same pole?"

"Yeah. You told me about it when you called that afternoon, and my phone showed your call as out of area. Even though it was your same number. And it didn't say Grandma like Genius had it programmed to before."

"Uh huh. Well, right after I talked to you at 5:30, somebody rang my doorbell. I thought, 'Oh, no! Who is this? I hope it's not that neighbor doing something for me.' But I went to the door anyway. And it was the AT&T guy! He said he was here to switch my phone."

"At 5:30? I didn't know they worked that late. And why would he be there to switch your phone? It was already switched. That's why my caller ID showed it different."

"I don't know why he was there that late. But I got to talking to him, and he said he went to school where I used to teach! But I didn't remember him. And he didn't remember me. He said his wife went there, too. So he was going to ask her if she remembered me."

"Was he wearing a badge? Like, for ID from AT&T?"

"No."

"Was he in a uniform?"

"No."

"MOM! How do you know he wasn't just some guy telling you that to get in your house?"

"Well, he had a big truck. It was parked in the driveway."

"A big truck doesn't mean he works for AT&T!"

"It was a big WHITE truck. With AT&T on the side."

"Still. He might have knocked the real AT&T driver in the head! And then taken the truck. Haven't you seen the original Halloween? Michael Myers stole that guy's uniform and his tow truck! The AT&T guy should have had ID. You need to be more careful."

"He said he went to my school."

"Maybe he's just a stalker wanting to see what you have in your house! You really should ask for ID when people show up like that."

"I'm sure it will be fine. He said now that he fixed my phone, it probably won't show out of area again."

I'm going to keep an eye on that.

7 comments:

  1. It's a sad fact that we all have to be extremely cautious these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, bad guys never drive big trucks.

    Your mom takes ALL the proper precautions...

    ReplyDelete
  3. After 5 I answer the door with a baseball bat

    ReplyDelete
  4. How many trucks does it take to change...? Hope it's all straightened out now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stephen,
    Give everybody a big truck to drive, and it'll be okay. So sayeth my mom.

    *****
    Sioux,
    You have to arrive pretty early in the evening to fool my mom.

    *****
    joeh,
    Oh, dear. Mom does not have a baseball bat. I think she has a Swiffer...

    *****
    Linda,
    Mom has even learned how to use THE HOPPER! Forget that phone business! She's reveling in her new-found technicity. In fact, she recorded four movies last night off TCM. With only 15 minutes of instructions (over the phone) from me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathy,
    Unless they drive a big truck!

    ReplyDelete