Friday, June 13, 2014

The Backroads Thevictorians

Sometimes, Val's got nothin'. Which does not necessarily prevent her from posting.

Come and listen to a story 'bout a gal named Val.
Poor educator feels like throwin' in the towel.
'Cause one day as she opened the garage,
The door spring snapped and she felt a need to dodge.
(Flying metal, that is. Sidestepping a head injury.)

Well the next thing you know, ol' Hick commenced to clamp.
The kinfolk said, "Val, let's not forget your lamp."
Said, "A proper spring is the thing you need to have,"
But Val ducked behind her T-Hoe, and went shopping for some salve.
(Ointment, that is, to cure a puncture wound.)

Now it's time to say goodbye to Val, maybe for good.
If that clamped spring snaps, as we all know it could,
Val would be a goner pure and simple that is true,
Despite the healing claims of that antibiotic goo.
(Y'all remember Val now, y'hear?)


It was months ago that my garage door spring snapped as I closed the door, nearly trapping The Pony and me and T-Hoe in the garage the next morning. Luckily we had Hick to get us out, and tell us how to proceed with the manual pull chain. Then he got out a clamp on the weekend, and said that would hold the giant spring until we could get a new one made, like I did last summer for HIS garage door. Yet Hick will not take the broken one down so I can haul it to the garage door place for measurement. Their records did not include details on our other spring, only the date and cost and check number.

Every time I enter or leave the garage, I fear for my life. I even wait until The Pony is out before I open or close that garage door. I lean my head over beside the garage wall, under the shelf that now holds the black roaster pan full of cat kibble, and reach around inside the garage to push the doorbell-like button that opens and closes the deathtrap, so that the spring does not shoot off and pierce my skull, splattering gray matter across the sidewalk and porch. Seriously. A clamp is not a permanent solution.

I'm like Meryl Streep as Aunt Josephine in Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events. I must protect myself and my little Pony from the doom that could befall us due to this giant spring. I stop short of warning The Pony not to touch the doorknobs because they might explode, or to stay away from the refrigerator because it may fall on him. But I don't mess around with that clamped spring.

One of these days, Hick will take a precious 30 minutes out of his schedule and remove the two pieces of that garage door spring so I can get a replacement. Until then, I'm living dangerously.

7 comments:

  1. Better hope Hick doesn't spring your trap. My linkage was held together with a bread tie. Now that's a bit ridiculous, but when I complained, he said, "No more so than you waxing your car with baby oil."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should reinforce it with some duct tape!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should take some of the gristly parts from his auction meat, and use them to secure whatever you need to secure.

    Or threaten him with...? What COULD you threaten Hick with?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the "poem" - and you said you've got nothing. Geez, you post daily. Finally did some catching up... love that your mom cancelled even if she could save money. She's a hoot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear the tick--tick of a clamped spring waiting to explode. Good luck being safe when it goes. Great poem.

    Up from Val's garage comes a 'sploding spring. BANG!, that is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Once I was standing beside one of these springs when it decided to break and that spring shot at me near my head. It was terrifying.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Linda,
    HEY! We don't need any more ideas for fast fixes getting into Hick's noggin!

    *****
    joeh,
    I tried that once, to patch up the broken exhaust pipe on a Chevy Chevette. It lasted about a block before melting. Not quite far enough to get me out of the city limits without drawing attention to myself.

    *****
    Sioux,
    Well, I sure can't threaten him with the removal of his sixth-month-old bologna. Because it appears that he finished it off while I was convalescing.

    ******
    Lynn,
    More hooting at my mom's expense coming up next post.

    *****
    Leenie,
    I'd rather find bubbling crude, but Hick is no Jed Clampett. He must think that last name was Clamp-It.

    *****
    Stephen,
    You are the one who put the fear of THE SPRING into me. You're a regular Meryl Streep as Aunt Josephine.

    ReplyDelete