Thursday, September 28, 2017

Am I the Only One Who Finds This Ironic?

Not too long ago, I revealed a misguided effort by Hick and HOS to return some road trash to its dumper. No new news on that garbage, but look what I found as I headed from the homestead to town last week:


Yeah. It's a road aquarium! On our gravel road, about 2/3 of the way from our house to the county road where EmBee lives in her Mailbox Row condominium. Not only did the dumpers toss their trash illegally, they couldn't be satisfied with throwing it out on the county blacktop road. They had to drive up on our private road to strew broken glass along the right-of-way.

Just behind those trees is a wide, knee-high waterfall. A lot of people ride their four-wheelers down here and let the kids wade and play in the creek. We took Genius and The Pony there when they were young. It's peaceful and refreshing, the sound of the babbling brook counteracting the squeals of the young 'uns. The weather has been so dry that the creek is low and brackish right now. Good thing. Wouldn't want a kid to lose a pinky toe walking on the shards.


I doubt there were any fish in there when the aquarium was discarded. It would have been impractical to drive around with water sloshing. Not to mention how heavy that aquarium would have been to lift, loaded with water. And fish. If any fish had been suddenly rendered homeless in that manner, I doubt they could have flopped their way over to the creek. So close. But yet so far.

I might be the only one who finds this ironic, the disposal of a fish house right next to a creek, which is also a fish house. I've never had a good grasp on what IRONY actually is.

13 comments:

  1. Val--People are pigs. They dump and drop and don't care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I, for one, have had a snootful of their shenanigans. The world in general (and my road specifically) is not one big sty!

      Delete
  2. Maybe not a good grasp on irony but I'd like a good grasp on the person dumping stuff on the side of the road like this, and not just any road but your private road, this is not right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've spent a lifetime grappling with irony, and it continues to give me the slip. The Pony was my VALidator, and now that he's gone, I can't run it by him first.

      Also not right: the hole shot through our association's sign that says Trespassers Will Be Prosecuted.

      Delete
  3. I'm trying to figure out why someone would drive out to almost Shackytown to dispose of that trash. There must be regular trash pickups somewhere or a recycle station to drop off stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? It's like they're out for a joyride, and smashing mailboxes along the county road with bats isn't entertaining enough for them any more.

      Yes, we have a landfill with a recycle station. But it costs money. Not much. It probably costs more in gas money to drive out here.

      In town, they have free recycling with the city's $17 per month trash service. We have a regular trash pickup service for which I pay $65 a month.

      Delete
  4. My friend confronted neighbor behind her flinging dog poop into the yard of the vacant house next door. When it was brought to her attention that what she was doing was illegal, she said she had no idea. I believe her. never had an idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's hard to imagine anyone so disrespectful to private property or the Earth to do this. Shame!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shame, shame...if only everybody knew their name!

      Delete
  6. Seems like a shocking waste of a good aquarium to me, they could have sold it or given it away. Hick could have set it up in one of Shacky-Town's shacks, but as a terrarium not a fish home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Even if it leaked, it could have been a terrarium. Somebody could have kept their tarantula in it! They might have even asked $5 for it on the local Swap 'n' Shop or Tradio program every day on the radio. AND the buyer would have come to pick it up!

      Delete