Thursday, September 7, 2017

My Life in Education Hasn't Hurt Me None

Val may not lead the most exciting life now that she's retired. But she gets herself in enough predicaments that she could probably pitch her own reality show.

Sunday, I was in Country Mart picking up Diet Coke. It wasn't on my list, but I saw that they had 3 six-packs of 20 oz bottles for $9.00. Curiously enough...they had no six-packs of 20 oz bottles. All out. They did, however, have eight-packs of 12 oz bottles for the same price. So I got 3. You had to, to get the special price. They were $3.99 apiece otherwise.

I also saw a sign for Diet Mountain Dew, 5 six-packs of 20 oz bottles, for $10.00. And they even had them on the shelf. Well. That's only $2.00 apiece. I didn't get them. Must be something wrong with them! Heh, heh. Probably not, but I was already going to be weighted down with my Diet Coke. So I figured I'd tell Hick about it, and he could go get some for himself. What else has he got to do, anyway? He's retired.

Anyhoo...I went on and picked up my list items of bananas, onions, hoisen sauce, and ice cream. The ice cream wasn't even for me. It was for Hick. The little party size plastic cups of vanilla, with a strawberry and chocolate swirl. It even comes with flat wooden spoons, but I throw them away. My man can eat his child-sized ice cream with a metal spoon. We're not barbarians! I, myself, prefer the birthday cake flavor of these party cups that Walmart has. It doesn't come with wooden spoons, but I use an old plastic Dairy Queen spoon. It's made for ice cream, right?

Hick's ice cream is what got me in trouble.

When I approached the freezer cases, I noticed that the floor was being repaired. I was just in there less than a week ago. Over on that aisle, too. And the tile was fine. I guess maybe there was a leak? Or this was just some long-planned tile replacement. The area wasn't roped off or anything. Not even a yellow plastic warning board, or an orange cone.


There's Hick's ice cream. Bottom shelf. Under that little green sign. A bag laying on its side, containing a dozen plastic cups of swirled vanilla. It only has 100 calories, you know. Providing you only eat one cup. When you eat them two at a time like Hick thinks I don't notice, it has 200. Still. That's better than letting Hick dip out of a tub of ice cream. He's not even supposed to HAVE ice cream. But it's better to have limited ice cream than the unlimited donuts he sneaks some mornings. Anyhoo...back to the freezer case.

I'm so trusting. You'd think that a retired teacher would be a bit more suspicious by nature. But no. I was in a place of business. What could possibly go wrong?

I parked my cart on the white speckled tile, beside the open freezers that run down the aisle. I took two steps over to the ice cream door, opened it, and snagged a bag of ice cream for Hick. I closed the door and turned to go back to my cart. And turned to go back to my cart. And turned to go back to my cart.

I WASN'T MOVING!

My feet were stuck to the floor! I could turn my body, and act like I was walking back, but my feet stayed put! I was trapped like a rat on a sticky mat! With much concentration, utilizing my athlete's body, and will of steel, I picked up my left foot and headed back to my cart. And headed back to my cart. And headed back to my cart. No. I didn't. I stepped the left leg out, but the right foot remained stuck on the human rat mat.

Seriously. I thought I was going to have to gnaw my foot off to get loose! Country Mart was not very busy. There WAS a guy on a beeper cart that I had encountered on the soda aisle up front. He was turning from the soda on the front wall down the popcorn aisle, but he had to beepin' back up. Then he started muttering to himself, because he was going neither forward, nor backward any more. I guess his battery ran down. So he wouldn't be much help for me, needing rescue himself.

Don't underestimate Val, though! She's a retired physics teacher, by cracky! I realized that by tilting my foot, I could pry my sole loose from the edge. Slowly. But loose. It took a bit of waggling back and forth, like a slow band-aid removal, but I freed myself. The walk to the checkout was pretty slow, because I had to re-free my right foot every step.

The Beeper Cart Guy must have called for back-up, because he pulled out in front of me at the popcorn aisle. He was on his feet, leaning on a cart, with a man and woman on each side of him for support, both moral and physical, I assumed. Anyhoo...The Man Formerly Known As Beeper Cart Guy was still moving faster than me! Good thing, because there might have been a collision, and I shudder to think of what might have happened if my shoe sole got stuck on some part of him.

Whoa! It just hit me! I could have taken off my shoe! I could have gotten loose by taking off my shoe! Surely I would have thought of that before I started gnawing at my tarsals...wouldn't I? But then, what if I took off my shoe, and I couldn't keep my balance, and my black-with-a-gray-sole Doc Ortho sock got stuck? And then I took off my Doc Ortho sock, and my foot-skin got stuck? THEN I would have been right back to gnawing at my tarsals!

Country Mart really needs to put up a caution sign, or they're going to have a lot of old ice-cream-eaters trapped and blocking their freezer case.

Not every customer is going to be a retired physics teacher, you know.

21 comments:

  1. That slows down the customers when they get stuck like that.

    The more time a customer spends in a grocery store, the more money they spend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, they're going to need an extra beeper cart for an employee to cruise around the store and collect the money from all the old ice-cream-eaters trapped on the tile.

      Delete
  2. You were in quite a sticky situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Such a "tacky" comment," says my 13-year-old self.

      Delete
  3. I tried my best to not type that, but I had to...It's the Tourette's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you get some help for that, Joe?

      Delete
    2. Many years ago, we had a teacher who said he was going to come down with Tourette's during the last year before he retired. He already knew what he would be unable to stop saying.

      Delete
  4. I sense a scam here. Trying to keep you there to buy more?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a distraction to push damaged products! Hick says some of his ice cream cups had the cardboard lid askew (my word, not his, but you know what I mean) like they might have been laying on their side and partially melted, then re-froze.

      You can clearly (or not) SEE by my mad photog skillz that the bags of ice cream cups are laying on their side on the bottom shelf.

      Delete
  5. Not only that but as I just told SWMBO after reading it to her and overpowering her laughter, (referring not to you) "She's got a way with woids!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you to SWMBO, I think, for enjoying my tale of misfortune.

      Delete
  6. Crud, crud, crud. I've racked my brain for the song the title came from. I can hear it... but can't place it. (And I'm not going to cheat and google it.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That would be Kodachrome. Paul Simon. Paul "Rhymin'" Simon. Garfunkel's former other half. Not that politician guy.

    Also, I changed two words. So that's not plagiarism, right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Me? I would have yelled for help and then berated the store manager for not roping off the area, AND for not moving the contents of that freezer to a more accessible one. And then asked who was going to compensate me for my ruined shoes, because that's a guaranteed laugh as soon as they see my battered three years old cheap sneakers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Be assertive! River needs a new pair of shoes, baby!

      On a side note...one time I was pushing my cart through Save A Lot, and I heard someone following me. Every time I stopped, they stopped. I didn't want to look around, but finally my curiosity got the best of me. NOBODY was there! It was the sole of my old New Balance shoe flapping with each step.

      Delete
    2. My sneakers are New Balance! It's the only brand that has my size, short and wide, so I buy size 5 wide boys sneakers and they're comfortable from day one.

      Delete
    3. Yes, I love them for their widths. They are so comfortable, I wear them until they fall apart.

      Delete
  9. You could have just stood there and screamed "Call 911 I'm being held up!", that would have gotten their attention...maybe. And if so hopefully the paramedics would have been worth the wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the person to consult about the "worthiness" of rescuers would be Sioux. She had an unfortunate incident involving her head, and the faculty restroom sink. Firemen may or may not have been called...

      Delete
  10. Well, now, you know I would have made an issue of it! I just like to teach people stuff they need to know .....
    I was pretty funny, picturing you stuck to the floor! Did you look around to make sure no one witnessed the incident?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was looking around HOPING someone witnessed the incident! I really was having trouble getting loose!

      Yes, you would have peel-flopped your sole up front, and let them have a piece of your mind. You might even have advocated for Beeper Cart Man once you got rolling.

      Delete