Sunday, September 17, 2017

Doing Unto Tommy

You may recall that Hick and I have a neighbor, Tommy, whose elderly mother passed away earlier this year. Tommy has no means of support. No job. No transportation. He has questionable social skills. The more we have interacted with Tommy, the more his abilities remain a mystery. He seems to have had some college courses, and long ago worked at a fast food restaurant. He spent his time taking care of his elderly mother, and now has nothing but the mobile home and 10 acres it sits on.

Hick has been taking Tommy to town every week for shopping and banking, to save him the $35 cab fee. Tommy can also call the local transport system once a week for free. He has been looking for a job, because his money is running out. If I recall correctly, he told Hick a few months ago that he only had $2000 left.

Thursday, Tommy called to ask for a ride to the local job center run by a state agency. He said he'd call when he was ready to leave. Hick was surprisingly agreeable, and said he could fit it into his plans. He left around 11:00. When he got home from dropping off Tommy, Hick of course had a story to tell.

"I told Tommy that I heard a place over in Bill-Paying Town is hiring telemarketers. Tommy said he knew, and that they said they could give him a job, but he didn't have transportation. I told him, 'Tommy, you're wasting your time looking for work if you don't have a way to get there.' Then he got real quiet."

"You didn't hurt his feelings, did you?"

"No. He was thinking. I guess he thinks that someone is going to drive him to work and pick him up every day. I'm not going to do that. I said, 'What you need to do is get you a $500 car so you can get back and forth, and get a job, and then you can look for something better. I guess he thinks somebody is going to buy him a car."

I paused. I looked at Hick. I was not sure how he was going to take what I was about to say.

"Just yesterday, on the way to town, I was thinking about Tommy. About how it wouldn't kill us to help him get a car. We could get it and let him pay us back $20 a week once he gets a job. Would it really hurt us to spend $1000 for a car? We gave that Caravan to your guy at work, and let him pay us back. If I have to, I can use some of my gambling stash."

"Yeah. I could go buy a car and give it to him. But nothing over $1000!"

"And it will be in HIS name! I don't want to deal with it. It's on him."

"Yeah. I'll put it in his name. He'll have to buy his own gas and insurance."

"Does he even have his driver's license?"

"I think he does. He used to. I told him, 'Tommy, you could even get your CDL license, and drive a truck. They pay insurance, too.' But he said, 'I don't HAVE a CDL!' And I told him, 'That's why I said you could get it.'"

I can't really imagine the conversations between these two!

Anyhoo...Hick went out to watch his concrete crew work on his new garage, with a plan of going back to pick up Tommy at 1:30. I headed off to town for some errands and my 44 oz Diet Coke. When I got back, there was a message on the phone from Tommy. "Hick...this is Tommy. I'm ready to leave now." The time of the call was 12:45. The time I saw it was 1:25. I figured Hick was already there to pick up Tommy, but probably hadn't known to go earlier, because the phone had showed a NEW message, that hadn't been listened to, and if Hick had been in the house, he would have picked up.

When Hick got back, he had more stories. "Tommy asked me to take him to the Catholic Church tomorrow morning to get some food. The people where he was working on his resume told him they have a food pantry. And the place here in town in the old bowling alley, too. I told him, 'Tommy, I can't tomorrow. I've got an appointment at 9:30. But I can take you on Monday. Do you have food?' Tommy said oh, yes, he had food. But he was out of milk and juice, but he guessed he could drink water until then. I told him I'd take him on Monday, and also to the bowling alley place, which is right by the mushroom factory. I said, 'Tommy, you can go in and put in an application. The radio says they're hiring.' And he said, 'Will they let me do that?' So I told him, 'All you can do is try. The worst they can do is tell you no.' And I also told him I'll take him by Hardee's to fill out an application, since he worked there before, he says. I told him he should take any job he can get, to bring in some money, and he can still keep looking for a better one."

"Did you mention the car idea? Did he think he could do that?"

"I told him that if they asked if he had transportation, he should say yes. I told him that I'll drive him to work and pick him up for two weeks, and that we'll get him a car that he can pay us for out of his earnings."

"Did he say that was okay?"

"Well, he ducked his head and kind of cried a little."

"Oh, no! Did he not want to do it?"

"It was about the same time I told him I couldn't take him to the Catholic Church on Friday. So I don't know if it was about that, or about the car. I think the whole situation is getting real now that he's out of money, and he's just overwhelmed. But when I dropped him off, he said, "Thank you for trying to help me."

"I think he just doesn't know how to plan ahead for anything. Like when he calls, he always wants to go right then."

"Yeah, and I've told him to call my cell phone number, because I'm not in the house. But he always calls the house. I guess I just assumed he had caller ID, but he probably doesn't. I don't know if I ever gave him my cell number. I need to write it down for him."

We'll see what happens tomorrow on their job search trip. I don't know if Hick is going to let Tommy look at cars with him, or just get the best one he can for the money. He already asked Tommy if he could drive a stick, and Tommy said no.

Hick is really good at telling lemons from reasonable used cars. And pretty good at helping people, too.

22 comments:

  1. You may have adopted Tommy without knowing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we only had papers...we could count him as a tax deduction!

      Delete
  2. Perhaps Hick could find a place that has two openings? That way, he could work as Tommy's job coach.

    That would kill a couple of birds with one stone...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What Tommy needs most is a job-FINDING coach.

      You aren't trying to find a way to take my full-time Hick away from me, are you? The back roads would be awash with my tears!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. In spite of the stories I tell on him...Hick IS a very good man.

      Delete
  4. "....the mobile home and 10 acres it sits on." Wow. My ex the second would love that. a home of his own and no neighbours so close you can hear the toilets flushing. I'd love it too, but there would have to be an ocean close by and definite internet access.
    Hick is a treasure and I hope he can help Tommy, but just how capable is Tommy? There may be a few wrinkles ahead in the fabric of his life. It's good that you and Hick are there for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No ocean anywhere near here, but with a satellite dish, internet can be had. Hick has said that he'd buy some of Tommy's acreage if he needed to sell it to get money. He hasn't told that to Tommy yet.

      Tommy said his sister is sending him some money, but that she can only do it once. I think that if Tommy could find a job, he might get things together for a while. He's had a couple of jobs before, a long time ago.

      Delete
  5. I want to give Hick a hug ... and you too Val if you don't mind ... might as well throw one in there for Tommy as well ... I really hope your efforts to help Tommy help himself pay off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hick can have my hug! I'm not a hugger. Once a year, on my birthday, I allowed my best ol' ex-teaching buddy Mabel to give me a hug.

      I'm hoping Tommy will be able to make it on his own. It's going to be a challenge.

      Delete
  6. Tommy is lucky to have the two of you in his life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When Hick was a kid, people helped his parents. He's paying it forward. He grew up with no indoor plumbing and no family car. His dad was blind, and his mom was in the hospital a lot. Hick's a big believer in helping people help themselves.

      Delete
  7. "Entertaining angels unaware..." One never knows when they will need help. I think you and hick might BE the angels. I also feel a Chicken Soup story writing itself. You can do NICE and SWEET. I know you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're nothing special. Just trying to be decent human beings. There must be a reason that Tommy stood on the gravel road by the BARn, waiting for Hick, rather than any of the other residents out here.

      I don't think this story is one for me to write. It would be too much like tooting my own horn. I just include it here because I pretty much write about everything that happens to us, and Tommy is kind of like Hick's latest project.

      Delete
  8. You two have another son it appears...

    Seriously you are really helping Tommy out when most people just wouldn't, I know that he has to appreciate the kindness you are showing to him, at this rate you and Hick just may get Tommy back on track.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our nest has a vacancy at the moment.

      Sometimes it seems like we're not doing enough. We can't save everyone in the world, but we can make sure Tommy doesn't starve to death across the road from us.

      Delete
    2. Very true, we can't save everyone but you and Hick are definitely doing your part, Thank you.

      Delete
    3. I'm hoping that Tommy can get a job if he has transportation. Hick is the selfless one driving him around, and trying to find resources for him.

      Delete
  9. So Hick is a good guy, after all!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but writing about his good qualities would seem like I was bragging!

      Delete
  10. Creating your own good karma! There are lost souls everywhere. Enough for all of us to help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just doing what seems right. Let the karma fall where it may.

      Delete