Wednesday, January 4, 2017

A Reservation You Really Don't Want Kept For You

I am convinced that there is a special place in Not-Heaven for people who refuse to pull all the way through to the last gas pump. Seriously. How hard is THAT? I'm not talking about cars you see at the first pump who might have parked there because a car was in front of them, and such car has just left. Nope. I'm talking about that lady who made a left turn into the Casey's General Store just ahead of me. I figured she would pull to the front, and I would get the second pump. Nope. She stopped at the first one.

I whipped T-Hoe to the right of her little gray compact car, prepared to back into the first pump. But THEN a guy coming in from the side street pulled right in there! So I had to loop around the pumps to the other side, and go past THAT car at the first pump (they get a pass from Val's wrath, because I don't know the previous scenario that put them there) and back T-Hoe up to the first pump. Perhaps I've mentioned that his backing-up beeper has not worked for three years now.

Yes, that special place in Not-Heaven reserved for the pump non-puller-uppers should preferably be located between the turn-lane-challenged, and the road-walkers.

At least the lady in the little gray compact car made proper use of the turn lane. No double-whammies for her. But the person in the green sedan who made a wide (anticipated) left turn at the convenience store next to McDonald's did not. It's a whole freakin' turn lane, dude! You don't have to veer right, out into the driving lane, to make it! Especially when there was a soggy cardboard box in that driving lane to be avoided.

Yeah. A center turn lane guy almost sideswiped T-Hoe. Let the record show that I was completely within my driving lane. HE'S the one who came over the line, outside his center turn lane. Seriously. What was I supposed to do, run over that sodden cardboard box? For all I knew, it was used for shipping box cutters. Or ice picks. Or good old-fashioned tire puncturers! No way was I going to run over that wet box.

The road-walker over by the main post office hub did not have to stride down the MIDDLE OF THE TRAFFIC LANE. Seriously. There was a whole grassy vacant lot maintained by the city available for walking purposes. Even the two feet right up next to the curb would have sufficed. No need to claim the middle, making me swerve into the oncoming lane. People feel so entitled these days!

Let's see if they feel entitled to ice water when they get to their reserved spaces in Not-Heaven!

14 comments:

  1. Mrs. C calls these people ass-holes. Apparently everyone on the road within 20 yards of her car qualifies for that moniker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd be surprised how plentiful they are!

      Delete
  2. The more Joeh talks about his wife, the more I like her. I'm sure even people who ride along with her (Joe--I WONDER who I could be talking about?) could occasionally qualify for that cute nickname.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs C has a very special nickname for Joe. It starts with a "J" and ends with a "K."

      Delete
  3. Oh, boy, I see Joe is going to get a lecture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, heh! You psychically sensed it before I published the comments!

      Delete
  4. I always pull forward as far as I can so I can easily pull through to the street without having to back up and go around the car in front of me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remember "Highlights" magazine for kids? That makes you Gallant, not Goofus.

      Delete
  5. There are 3 kinds of drivers. Idiots (who drive slowly & won't get out of your way), maniacs (who drive at 100 mph & cross over 4 lanes at their exit) & you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that says it in a nutshell. Though JoeH would say there's a 4th kind of driver: the ones who drive a BEEMER! Who pretty much fall into Mrs C's category, no matter how close they are to Joe when he's driving.

      Delete
  6. I cannot relate to the gas pump episode, since I do not pump gas. My man servant does that for me. I am special like that. But, if I did encounter the situation of the non-puller-upper, I would simply pull up behind that vehicle and lay on my horn. Why should I have to back up?? I like the horn, I find it to be a very useful tool in alerting others to their traffic violations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those horns are there for a reason!

      I could never understand why The Pony would huff at me when I honked at people coming at me over the center line. That's what horns are FOR!

      Delete
  7. The crazies have been on the road all day, and their grills were always pointed at my car. Glad to be snowed in, now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snow was so slick here that I didn't even go to town for my daily 44 oz Diet Coke!

      Delete