Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Working to Keep Living

Val is hot to trot this evening.

I'm not talking about an inappropriate interlude with a dude picked up in a bar at closing time. Nope. I'm breathing fire. Snorting flames. My blood is boiling. I'm about to blow my stack. To let out a shrill whistle like the end-of-shift signal down at the Shotz Brewery.

My pharmacy has changed hands. It has gone from a Mom and Pop kind of drugstore to a Doom and Poop kind of place. The official takeover happened three weeks ago. Surely they would have the new procedures in place by now. Last time I tried to call in my refills, that automated phone would not recognize me. So I had to talk to a person. Everything went fine with the pickup.

Monday I tried to call in my prescriptions. No. I needed a person because the phone had never heard of my prescription numbers. All lines busy. Got through, put on hold. Got a person who took info because the computer would not take my vitals. It took twenty-five minutes to set up my refills by phone! Tuesday, I was too busy to pick up my prescriptions. Today, Wednesday, I called ahead at 10:00 a.m. Yes. They were ready. There was a slight glitch with one for Genius, but they fixed it. Said everything would be available by 11:30 a.m.

I stopped by at 4:53 p.m. Got in line. The aisles are like cattle chutes now. One main line to pick up prescriptions, but to get anywhere near the other parts of the counter, you have to find an empty chute. I waited twenty minutes before getting to the counter. Then another twenty-five while one thing or another went wrong. The girl grabbed the bags out of the alphabetized plastic tubs behind the counter. She went to ring them up, but one wouldn't work. Oops! They hadn't applied insurance to mine, even though they had to the one for Genius. Then they discovered that they had given me 90-day bottles instead of 30-day. Then they had to check one prescription with the pharmacist. Then I discovered that they had substituted a generic to which I am allergic. Then they lost my insurance cards. Then they told me I might as well sit down, because they had to recount my pills.

Seriously. This chain has a problem. They don't have four-dollar generics. Even though I am covered by two insurance policies, they will only run the prescriptions on the primary card. The sixteen employees who remained from the old store have not been able to master the new computer program. Sixteen people who have worked in a pharmacy for years. It's not like they're a busload of non-English-speakers just arrived at the sheltered workshop.

This visit took over an hour, and cost me $22 dollars more than last month. Over an hour to walk in and pick up prescriptions that were "ready" after two days and two phone calls totaling thirty-five minutes. I could have found a group of black-market foreign-country toddlers to make my medicine for five dollars, the equivalent of a year's pay in their nation, quicker than the drawn-out torture I was subjected to by this new chain.

I am ready to join three other patrons I know who have taken their business elsewhere.

12 comments:

  1. I have a perscription for 40 pills which I refill quarterly. These little yellow pills allow you to watch the sunset with your wife while in two separate bathtubs holding hands. It is a lovely little pill. Every time I get a refill the pharmacy only gives me 3 pills. THe perscription is for 40, my insurance only covers 3. I tell them I will pay for the other 37, as I fully intend to hold my wife's hand as we lie in separate bathtubs way more than once a month!

    Dumb ass Pharmacy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, Val! I feel your pain! It's time for a revolution...time to make the conglomerates lose out because of this kind of ridiculousness!! Take your business elsewhere!!....And I leave you with a portion of a blog post of mine from 2010:::I always think of those famous lines in the movie "Network", made in 1976. Just look how the following words are still true today....34 YEARS LATER:

    "I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE! I want you to get up right now, sit up, go to your windows, open them and stick your head out and yell - 'I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!' Things have got to change. But first, you've gotta get mad!... You've got to say, 'I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!' Then we'll figure out what to do about the depression and the inflation and the oil crisis. But first get up out of your chairs, open the window, stick your head out, and yell, and say it......" (Spoken by Howard Beale, portrayed by Peter Finch)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would leap off the boat immediately. AND write a venom-filled letter to their headquarters about why you jumped ship.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes. Find a new pharmacy. If things are that chaotic at the front I would like to know what things are like behind the scenes. Potentially very dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd find a pharmacy that gives you ten bucks spending money for switching allegiance. Blow a kiss to your old pharmacy while patting your hind end. You don't have to take that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had problems with one of my prescriptions not once, but twice from the Doom and Poop pharmacy. When they screwed my Rx the second time, I left. I found a mom and pop pharmacy and haven't looked back since. I love the place.

    Get out of there before they screw something up again and it's worse

    ReplyDelete
  7. We use a mail-in service and get our meds cheaper than we can at our local pharmacy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with Sioux. Vote with your feet. Big franchises eating up the local businesses may have lowered a lot of prices but the loss of small business and personal service is a big price to pay.

    ReplyDelete
  9. joeh,
    You yellow pill people holding hands and watching sunsets are the reason farmers cannot use clawfoot tubs as water troughs in the cow pastures anymore. You yellow pill people holding hands and watching sunsets are the reason I have to hear, 384 times on each holiday excursion through uncharted land, "I wish I could find me a clawfoot tub in a cow field. I bet the farmer would sell it for next to nothing. But you can't hardly find those old tubs anymore."

    *****
    Becky,
    Oh, I'm mad enough. But I'm afraid that if I stick my head out the window, a bird will poop on it like that time in college when I was sunning on the steps of McDonald Arena before class, happy as a clam, and a doggone bird pooped green seedy feces onto the leg of my white with blue side stripes Adidas shorts, and my friends heehawed like they were watching a Steve Martin stand-up routine, and there was no time to ride my orange and white candy-cane striped ten-speed back to my apartment to change, so I had to go to class in my wet poopy shorts with only a quick dowsing from the bathroom faucet.

    *****
    Sioux,
    I fear I might be bruised in the melee, what with so many other ship-jumping rats before me. Then I might need medicine, and I don't have the strength to invest two more hours into that ordeal.

    *****
    Birdie,
    The old workers are so NIIIICE. But they can't handle this system. I left another pharmacy because they sent me home with some lady's blood pressure medicine bottle with Genius's name on it. I took them back (thank goodness he was a youngster and didn't dose himself), and I got no apology, just a smart-alecky comment that, "It IS the right medicine, Ma'am. It was just mislabeled." Huh! What about the next time, when it's labeled right, but 'just the wrong medicine?'

    ******
    Linda,
    There IS such a pharmacy, right behind the Dairy Queen and beside the Chinese Restaurant next to the Inconvenient Care Clinic. And another down the street at the grocery store, but since they are always selling expired foods, I'm a bit leery of their pharmacy.

    ******
    Chick
    Hick had problems with his branch of Doom and Poop today. He even admitted, "I can see how that place would drive you crazy. Here's a number to use for a Doom and Poop card that will get you $5 prescriptions for generic." Yeah. He kind of missed the point.

    *****
    Stephen,
    Do you work for my insurance company? They are always trying to strong-arm me into the three-month mail-order routine. The problem is that I can't take advantage of their whopping THREE MONTHS for the price of TWO-AND-A-HALF because, well, a bag of Clearasil Vanishing Creme lasted less than four hours in my county-road mailbox. So I don't plan on giving away over $300 in prescriptions every three months.

    *****
    Leenie,
    I'll vote with my feet AND my butt, thanks to Linda enlightening me on that new technique. And this Doom and Poop pharmacy has certainly not lowered any prices.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay, let's see if this comment thing is fixed ..... I just transferred my WalMart RX to the small pharmacy in the clinic with the incompetent doctor. It is a lot cheaper and I was impressed with the pharmacist and his eye for accuracy. The computer set-up at WalMart is supposed to be idiot proof ....... no system is, really, as long as people are involved. There is always an overide. The mail order pharmacy is cheaper, but, like you already pointed out; not if it is going to sit in your mailbox in the heat. You could always rent a PO box in the dead mouse smelling post office.

    Cossing my fingers as I hit "publish"

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kathy,
    Walmart is the one that gave Genius that lady's blood pressure med bottle. So they're on my Do Not Drug list. The mailbox issue was thievin' drug-stealers, though the heat would also be a problem. Any savings of half-a-prescription-worth would be eaten up by the price of the post office box. I might just as well become a drug-seeking O. Henry story.

    ReplyDelete
  12. WalMart's computer program would work great, if they only used it properly. When all is said and done, the error falls on the pharmacist. They hire relief pharmacists in order to give days off. This means that they have a whole tribe of retired, inadequate, and those who can't be hired due to reasons unknown. This motley crew travels from store to store to fill in for those having a day off. Unfamiliar with the layout of the store and the employees, they depend on the technician to get them through the day. I have worked with many. Unafraid to overstep boundaries, I would place myself in charge and tell them what to do. Giving out the wrong meds is a big deal! The pahrmacist is the supposed to open the bottle and compare the contents to the image on the screen before placing that vial in a bag to be given to the customer. They tend to take shortcuts and rely on the competency of the technician ..... Alas, there is only one of me.

    ReplyDelete