Saturday, November 24, 2012

Whose Face Is Redder?

Well. This is embarrassing. I have my days mixed up.

All day, I have believed it was Sunday, not Saturday. Oh, nothing noticeable occurred to make me a laughingstock in the eyes of the world. No more than usual. It's not like I showed up at church and pounded on the doors, muttering about a conspiracy to keep me out.

The Pony and I did the shopping, which has been a Sunday task for years. I whipped up a new side dish in the crock pot. Wrote out some bills. Balanced the checkbook.

This afternoon, I checked  my MegaMillions ticket and my PowerBall ticket. Not winners. I ripped them in the middle, and put them in my office wastebasket. The usual routine. A winner gets to lay on top of a TurboTax CD case, on top of my Puffs With Aloe box, until such time as it behooves me to cash in three or seven dollars.

Imagine my shock when, a few minutes ago, I peeked into KSDK.com to check the weather for the week. You know. Just in case there might be some snow in the forecast. It would happen! And imagine my further shock when I glanced at the 7-day forecast and realized that TODAY IS SATURDAY! The PowerBall number has not even been drawn yet! It's worth $325 million, you know.

Then imagine my total lack of shock when I observed the following summary of Tuesday's weather:

Tuesday: Mostly cloudy with some afternoon sun peaking through. Highs near 30.

Have they no shame? Have they no proofreader? Do we blame the weathercaster, or a copy writer for the website?

Now THAT is embarrassing.

6 comments:

  1. People walking pasty and seeing you pounding on the church door on Saturday must have thought you had a lot to atone for. Ha! Fun post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I have my snow chain paper tacked onto my fridge, so I'm all ready. When I hear our school district cancelled because a bunch of snow fell, I will phone the people below me AND the people above me on the list, so filled with glee will I be.

    Let's do our snow dance tomorrow evening. Maybe we'll be off on Monday...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now just think, you have an unexpected meal for tomorrow or you'll be minus one crock pot meal this week. Being ahead of schedule is not all bad. Snow? I can't bear think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephen,
    Or maybe they would have thought I was just really, really eager to give of my time and money to help others. IT COULD HAPPEN!

    ******************
    Sioux,
    My list is taped inside the pantry door. Sounds like I have a better chance than you, and for Tuesday, rather than Monday. That means you must dance extra hard. Work up a sweat. Naked under the moon might be called for. But wear your Crocs. Can't have you turning up lame in case the dance doesn't work. We can't all have 97 sick days left this year.

    **************
    Linda,
    My family can't bear to think of a crock pot meal. Snow? Three-fourths of us are all for it.

    You know you secretly want snow. So you can whip up an activity for your tiny students. An Iditarod lesson, perhaps. Peary and/or Cook discovering the North Pole. A lesson in supply and demand at Santa's Workshop. Collect an unsullied bucket and make snow ice cream. A geometry lesson with the parts of a snowman. You could make a whole chapter for your kiddie educational crafts book for teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have trouble with days on holiday weeks, too. Snow. Not yet, please!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not as much trouble as my sister. She just retired this year. She thinks every day is Saturday. And I have a sneaking suspicion that she would deny me my snow days.

    ReplyDelete