Friday, July 28, 2023

Sometimes, on Your Quest For Pennies, You Find a Bonus

Wednesday, I found something I wasn't looking for. Ain't that the way it goes? 

I was on my way into the Gas Station Chicken Store, and my attention was grabbed by something I WAS looking for. It wasn't until I stooped to pick it up that I noticed the bonus. 


That's an extreme closeup. I didn't notice the bonus until I picked up the penny. Looking back at the big picture, I can see that it was there.

Anyhoo... I took the evidence home to show Hick.

"Oh. That's a .22 short round."

"Why was it right outside the door of the Gas Station Chicken Store??? Was somebody going to rob them?"

"Not with that! Somebody probably had it in their pocket with their change."

Huh. I mentioned it to the clerk when I went inside. She said, "Oh. Everybody around here carries a gun." She's kind of right.

Here's a picture of it on my kitchen counter, before I gave it to Hick:


It's hot enough to fry an egg on the pavement, but not hot enough to shoot off a .22 bullet.

8 comments:

  1. My driveway was slightly downhill on our street. I was always finding bullets when I went to the mailbox. It made me pause to wonder who was losing bullets, why, and was it dangerous to pick them up. I did along with all the nails and screws that washed down in the rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not dangerous to pick them up, unless you're going to hammer on the end of them to set them off! I guess around here, someone might be out for target practice, or shooting squirrels, and have the .22 bullets in a pocket.

      I always pick up screws and nails, because I'm sure the next time, they will find T-Hoe's tire to puncture.

      Delete
  2. It looks a little "rough around the edges", like it's been kicked around. I hope it wouldn't affect the firing of it, like maybe blowing up the gun in your face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how many cars ran over it before I found it. I am confident that my face is safe.

      Delete
  3. Keep those nails and screws picked up out of the way of a mower, Remember my experience of have a screw shot into my leg by the mower. Now you have me wondering about a stray bullet in the grass!! All the people around us are gun toters. I mean thay are ALWAYS armed. Even on riding mowers. I worry about accidentally discharging the gun as they run over rough terrain on their 4 wheelers with a shotgun draped across their legs. This is Jeff Foxworthy territory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes! Don't remind me of your hideous accident! Surely your gun-toting neighbors know how to use the SAFETY feature. My dad always took a .22 pistol with him, for snake-shooting. Especially when fishing on the river, where cotton-mouths abounded. The copperheads in the yard weren't too pleasant, either. I don't think it would be very good at thwarting a bear! So I don't envy your wildlife.

      Delete
  4. Surely you are not assuming the shotgun toter with the pitbulls that murdered my cat knows where the sfety is on his gun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I AM assuming that, because he has not yet "accidentally" put himself (nor those dogs) out of your misery.

      Delete