Wednesday, July 5, 2023

I Can't Believe I Said NO!

Tuesday, I went in the Sis-Town Casey's to cash in some winning scratchers and buy more. I had every intention of buying more winning scratchers, but it didn't work out that way. 

Anyhoo... the young clerk is fairly new. He had a bit of difficulty scanning one of my winners. Then again when trying to scan the barcode to ring up the new ones. He was very polite. I bore him no ill will. I am never in a hurry. I have patience with anybody who is trying.

A supervisor was standing near the entrance, leaning on a cart loaded with boxes that needed opening, containing merchandise that needed pricing and shelving. She had been talking the other clerk through a problem transaction.

As I took my $1 in change, and gathered up my new tickets to leave, the young clerk said, 

"Would you like a penny to scratch them with?"

"What? Oh, no! Thank you! I have my own scratching coin."

Seriously! What was I thinking? Why in the Not-Heaven would I turn down a PENNY??? A proferred penny is even better than a found penny! It means someone is thinking of you. Thinking you deserve a penny!

On my way out, the manager lady told me to have a good holiday. Such good cheer from people who were stuck inside working.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Val, That is so funny about you turning down the offered penny. You'll be better prepared the next time, if and when the penny is offered to you again. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so shocked at the offer, I immediately turned it down, figuring I didn't need a penny from the "take one" dish! I doubt such an offer will ever be given to me again, but I will be prepared to graciously accept.

      Delete
  2. A whole story evolved around that one event. I can picture it. You didn't take the penny? What is with you??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must have been delirious, or in shock from all the politeness from those working on a holiday.

      Delete
  3. Hah! I find this funny, you turning down a penny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's probably some kind of irony involved...

      Delete
  4. Wow, you really were off your game! Or maybe you were just thinking that you would never use that penny to scratch with, so why take it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know WHAT I was thinking! That is so uncharacteristic of me to turn down a penny.

      Delete