Friday, August 3, 2018

Up On a Limb

I took the lake road home from Walmart on Monday. It's extra curvy, with numerous hill crests. I wasn't going very fast, since there was a car ahead of me. And I slowed way down and let it get away from me, once I saw a red cap.

That meant a road walker up ahead. I couldn't see him, because of the dips and crests. But I got a glimpse of that red hat. I figured a car coming from the other direction might swerve into my lane to avoid Red Cap, who appeared from his position to be tightrope-dancing along the edge of that blacktop road with no shoulder. So I slowed T-Hoe to about 30 mph in preparation for evasive driving.

WELL! I crested the next mini-hill, and Red Cap was almost at the center stripe, heading for a fallen tree limb. He glanced over his shoulder, saw me, and jumped back onto his side. A perfect example of how no good deed goes unpunished. Had I been a less cautious driver, Red Cap could have been flattened! I came upon him in the blink of an eye.

He was just doing a good deed, attempting to pick up that fallen limb. It wasn't like a log, or a handful of twigs. That tree limb was as thick as a wiry ten-year-old's arm, with assorted leafy branches. I guess Sunday night's storm had dislodged it. You can bet nobody was going to stop their car in the middle of the road to pick it up. But a conscientious road-walker was making the attempt.

Red caps are almost as good as those glowing orange or green vests, you know. And stick up higher when the wearer is standing in the trough between hill crests.

10 comments:

  1. I've never heard of Red Caps. I don't know what the equivalent would be out here. Probably the same council workers who go out and collect roadkill would also remove tree limbs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nobody around here is going to remove them except a good samaritan. By the time a county road crew would find the time, it would already be done, or that limb would be pulverized by people driving over it.

      Delete
  2. Do those Red Caps help you unload the groceries from your car?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good thing he wasn't wearing a camo hat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, heh! That would not have boded well for him.

      Delete
  4. Is road walking an actual job ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it is, there's a lot of people getting rich around here!

      Delete
  5. I haven't heard of red caps, but those deer hunter orange sure do the trick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the red ones are next in noticeableness!

      Delete