Saturday, August 25, 2018

The Universe Had CENTS Enough to Send Val a Larger Penny Receptacle

Val has had a fruitful penny harvest this week! Starting with SUNDAY, Aug. 19th, at her favorite haunt, The Gas Station Chicken Store.


Yes, the old GSCS was looking pretty spiffy that day. The Woman Owner was on duty at the register. Let the record show that she lets no grass grow under HER feet, nor dirt pile up on her floor.


It was a bright, shiny 2011, face down.

On the same day, just a hop, skip, and a few turns of T-Hoe's tires away, I found a second penny. I also saw Hick in his Trailblazer turning onto the lot. No way was I going to miss out on scratchers and the chance for a penny just to avoid running into him. Figuratively.


Danged if a little moppet didn't hold the door open for me! So even though I saw this jewel waiting patiently, I couldn't stop for my penny. You can bet that I virtually ignored Hick (who was buying his own ambrosia, hot dogs) in order to dash outside after purchase, and get this picture of my penny.


A face-down 1979. It's kind of hard to see in the big picture, but it's almost dead center, and can be found if you zoom in.
_____________________________________________________________________

THURSDAY, August 23rd, I was ever-vigilant for a penny, and still almost missed this precious gift. It was well hidden


under the rack of energy drinks in Orb K. Looks like somebody better get to stockin'! And to sweepin'!


It was a 2018,  face down. As was Val, trying to harvest it for her Future Pennyillionaire collection. A shoe toe under the front of the rack did not reach. Nor did itchy fingers. A hand wouldn't fit through the rack. So finally, Val had to make like a chimp using a stick to procure termites from a mound, and find a tool to assist her in her quest. SCRATCHERS! I stuck them under and scraped my rightful penny out. I'm pretty sure I made the monthly surveillance camera highlights.

When I came out, the magnitude of my riches was riveted home. Parked next to T-Hoe was THIS:


Today a yard-sale goblet...tomorrow a Brinks truck.
________________________________________________________________________

FRIDAY, August 24th, I found a penny waiting for me at Waterside Mart. My apologies to the rumpus of the woman ahead of me in line. I was rushing to capture my penny before it was my turn.


I really hope the folks behind me didn't think I was a creeper. And that the clerks don't feel that they're entitled to floor money.


Ol' Abe was a 1984, face down, most likely due to the embarrassment of having a butt-photographer pick him up. Yeah. I hope there's no symbolism in that, finding 4 pennies, ALL face down this week. I hope that's not a goocher.

_________________________________________________________________________

For 2018: Pennies  # 84, 85, 86, 87.
For 2018: Dimes  still at # 13.
For 2018: Nickels still at # 4.

Since 2017 (the beginning), this was Penny # 162, 163, 164, 165.
Since 2017 (the beginning), this is still Dime # 19.
Since 2017 (the beginning), this is still Nickel # 4.
__________________________________________________________________________

13 comments:

  1. Pennyillionaire status, here we come!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm keeping my calendar clear for the press conference!

      Delete
  2. i just had a thought. what if the people in your area read your blog and plant these pennies for you to find. oh wait. that can't be so or else there'd be more of them. not that 4 in a day isn't great. btw what's a goocher?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think I'd reach Pennyillionaire sooner if people left their coins on purpose.

      A goocher is when four people flip coins, and they all come up TAILS! It means really bad luck. It was in the Stephen King story "The Body" which was the basis for the movie "Stand By Me." I think it's in the movie, too.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Well...we don't want to be premature. I still have a FEW more pennies to collect before I reach official Pennyillionaire status.

      Delete
    2. In regards to your most recent post on your own blog...I heard it there first. That's too bad. I didn't think it would be this soon. I can't comment on that Google Plus thing, so I'm just sayin'...

      Delete
  4. I find myself astonished at the number of people who drop a coin, real money! and just leave it. advantage, Val. But I could never do it. If I drop coins I'm right down there right away getting them back in my hands again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I pick up any coins I drop. Unless they roll out into the road, of course. I'm not fast enough to dodge cars.

      Delete
  5. I had the same thought as Yevisha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, what a wonderful world it would be if I could compel people to leave pennies for me to find!

      Delete
  6. You have a good eye! I was enriched by a dime in the men's room as I mopped this morning. I must confess that I washed it before adding it to the change drawer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one dime I'm glad I didn't find! The floor of our own bathroom was enough of a minefield what with Hick, and the two boys living here. I can't imagine what horrors you find there! But congrats on being 10 cents richer! That's a whole week or more of pennies for me!

      Delete