Saturday, October 24, 2015

Two Wrongs Make The Pony Sense His Plight

Once upon a time, Val was all health-conscious and whatnot. She had a standing appointment after school with her best ol' ex-teaching buddy Mabel to walk up and down the long, long hall of the workplace, logging two miles each afternoon. Genius and The Pony were pacified with a file cabinet drawer of snacks, and computer games like Roller Coaster Tycoon, and Contraptions. Every now and then, one would feel the need to tattle on the other. Genius waited by my classroom door for me to pass by. The Pony, finding his needs more urgent, trotted after us until he caught up.

This revelation is not so random as you might think. On the way to work Thursday, I asked The Pony for a Christmas gift.

"My back really itches. I wish I had a backscratcher in the car. That's what you can get me for Christmas. A backscratcher. It can be like that red one on the table by the lamp. Wooden. Or it can be plastic. I'm not picky. In fact, as soon as I get to school, I'm going to get a clear plastic ruler out of my drawer, and jam it down my shirt collar. It works pretty good. You know, those clear blue or pink or green or yellow rulers that I got at Walmart several years ago. After I'm done scratching, I put it back in the drawer. If a kid asks to borrow a ruler, I get one out. It may or may not be the one I scratched my back with. They don't know, and neither do I."

"No. Just no. That is NOT right."

"Oh, you don't think THAT'S right? Let me tell you another story. Remember back when I used to walk after school with Mabel? While you and Genius played computer games?"

"Uh huh."

"While I was waiting for you two to ride the bus over to my building, and for Mabel to get all dolled up in her special workout clothes, I changed my shoes and socks. I got my walking shoes out of the cabinet, and the white socks I brought every day, and put my foot up on one of those blue hard-plastic chairs at a desk over by the door. It didn't take long. I peeled off my black crew socks and put on the white ones. My legs were so dry! A bunch of skin flakes always fell off on the seat of the chair during the change. I meant to brush them off, but Mabel would show up at my door, or you guys would come in telling me about your day, and I got sidetracked."

"Yuck."

"Oh, that's not all! Nobody sat there first hour. But second hour, this one girl did. She's the one I told you about the other day. The one who had a pimple between her eyes, and complained that she was not having a good day, and it was only second hour. She asked to go turn in a late assignment to another teacher. As soon as she left the room, one of the guys said, 'Don't anybody say anything, because she'll kill me, but every time I look at her, I think she grew a third eye.' Remember? That girl."

"I remember."

"So anyway, she came in one morning, and I could tell she was not having a good day again. No pimple, though. She plopped her stuff down on her desk, waved her arms, told us everything that had gone wrong that morning, and said, 'And I am sick of coming in here to find that the person who sits at this desk the class before me has been eating crackers again! This chair is always full of cracker crumbs!' She wiped them off on the floor with her hand and sat down. I didn't say a word."

"Probably just as well."

"Yeah."

"But so very wrong."

"Yeah. But it makes that ruler thing seem okay, huh?"

"Aye yi yi."

I'm pretty sure I detected a forehead-palm in my rearview mirror.

17 comments:

  1. Wouldn't that be tantamount to her sitting on your (unclothed) lap?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NO! Nothing like that! If you said that out loud, I would put my hands over my ears and hum until you were finished. I can hardly put my hands over my eyes until I am finished reading it! The damage is done. EEEEEE!

      It's more like I'm that Ally Sheedy character in The Breakfast Club, massaging my scalp and letting dandruff flakes fall on her. No lap involved. Just NO!

      Delete
  2. Hey, those students do so much to aggravate us, a little dead skin doesn't even begin to balance the scales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right. I would much rather have sat on dead skin that stick my hand in that gooey mass of slimy, see-through snot when I tried to move a desk. I swear that thing stretched two feet! I thought it was going to follow me all the way to the Germ-X!

      Delete
  3. I think that is worse than bringing a clock to school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't. My skin cells were very clean. I shower every morning. Those just happened to expire during the day, and flake away from my ankle area as I changed socks. They were almost sterile, I imagine.

      A clock, on the other hand...who KNOWS where it's been? Maybe on the shelf at Radio Shack, and in a box for nigh on thirty years, waiting to be disassembled and then reassembled in a pencil case...if you follow the conspiracy theories.

      Delete
  4. I have a metal scratcher with a periscope handle that extends and retracts. It's just the thing for my itchy back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh! I want one of those! I'll tell The Pony to look for it online. Of course, I'll have to order it for myself, pay for it myself, wrap it for myself, and feign surprise when I open it. In other words...it sounds like the perfect gift for me.

      Delete
  5. I was in my 20s before I admitted serving macaroni to my parents after scooping off the weevils I found roiling on top the water. Mom always said what you don't know don't hurt you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just extra protein. A roiled weevil is a perfectly hygienic, edible source of nutrients. I'm sure many empty-bellied souls would love to have a belly full of weevils. And drink the noodle broth, too. We should look into that as a food source for the future.

      Delete
  6. So l'm wondering why you had to wear white socks to walk those two miles up and down the long, long hall and black socks had to be worn during work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't HAVE to wear black socks during work. I chose to. Val is not a fancy woman who wears sundresses and Crocs to work! No. She wears slacks and comfortable shoes, for all those drills we have, rushing out of the building, across a couple acres of blacktop parking lot to the sandy infield of the softball diamond, standing around making sure everyone is accounted for, then rushing to beat the kids back inside, over the same couple acres of blacktop parking lot.

      I found those black socks for Hick, diabetic socks, so comfortable and non-restrictive, breathable, no seams. He still has some. In white. They are not good for walking two miles, though. Too much wear and tear on them. White athletic socks for Val the athlete when two-mile walking is the plan.

      Delete
    2. Not fashion but function---now that makes complete sense. I kept and wore out my dad's very comfortable diabetic socks after he decided to move on to wearing wings and a halo.

      Delete
  7. I love to gross my kids out! So fun! I prefer a cooking spoon for back scratching. The long handled variety. The curve of the spoon just does a good job. And, no, I don't use the same spoon in the kitchen ....... but don't tell my kids that. I have an identical one for cooking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I have an identical one for cooking." SURE you do!

      Delete
  8. Pony is growing some empathy. Beware.

    ReplyDelete