Tuesday, October 6, 2015

The Rubes Ain't Back In Town

Guess who ain't back in town today
Them wild-eyed rubes who've been away
Haven't changed that much to say
But man, I still think them rubes are crazy

They weren't askin' if I was around
How I was or where I could be found
I figured they must be drivin' downtown
Drivin' this ol' Val crazy

The rubes are out of town
(the rubes are out of town)

The rubes are out of town
(the rubes are out of town again)

Genius flew to California on Saturday. And boy were his arms tired. I guess. It's not like I heard from him. I believe the last connection was a one-line text at 1:30 a.m. Sunday: "On the ground in San Francisco."

I waited. You know how it is unlike Val to hover and micromanage where her children are concerned. When I still had heard nothing by Monday night, with Hick having been in communication two or three times a day...I sent Genius a text.

"Pictures or it didn't happen."

Of course he was all confused. Did not remember saying he would send me some pictures from his trip. He's there a whole week, you know. So I told him to forget it. That I could probably figure out what California looked like. He must have felt the guilt, or else remembered that I send him his living stipend on the 15th of each month. So he sent me seven photos. I only have a couple to share tonight, what with not being able to fire up my old New Delly to use my old Picture Manager, which is not available on my newest instrument of technology, The Computer Genius Built.

Here is a classic. Just to prove he was really there.


And here is one I would like to question him about. Because I'm not sure what he's showing me. The butt-end of a car? A secret compound in the side of a low-lying hill, like NORAD, perhaps? Or the Big Brother Pole Camera watching traffic? Or a UFO zooming into the frame? You be the judge. Because one of these days, I'm going to be the jury again. And we'll thumb-wrestle to see who gets to be executioner.





Genius is with two other members of the university's solar car team. They have rented a car, and are tooling up and down the coast seeking support for their venture. Techies helping techies, I suppose. The Silicon Valley was a to be a part of their territory.

I'm not sure what they're up to during non-business hours. Genius is not 21, and I don't know about the other two. Hopefully the rubes don't get taken for everything they've got. Or everything the university has got. Maybe I'll do a little more fishing and get some further details.

Right now, all I know for sure is that Genius was the meat in a septuagenarian/lap baby sandwich on the airplane.

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. YOUR boy is back? The musical doctory boy? Do tell!

      Delete
    2. No, I misread your post. I thought Genius was back, and I couldn't remember the rest of the chorus, so that's all I could write...

      Pathetic me...

      Delete
    3. Now that is very sad, because not only can I not hear about your shirtless boy and his adventures, but I am reminded that my own son is not back, and probably won't be until Christmas, severely limiting my writing fodder.

      Terrible about your reading problem. Maybe you could find a teacher to help you with that. Oh, WAIT...

      Delete
  2. Lemme tell ya', that boy is goin' places! If he gets used to them big shots in California he may never come home. And Hick with all them new buildings to show him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he'll come home. He already thinks he's a bigger shot than anyone he might meet in California. And because he needs to pick up his mail and get his living expenses check for the month, THEN he's off to Las Vegas. Which doesn't mean he will see Hick's buildings. Which doesn't mean that Hick will stop building.

      Delete
  3. So Genius is exploring my old stomping ground. I was raised in what later became the Silicon Valley. Back then it was mostly fruit orchards. I doubt Genius will be seeing any of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watch out! Genius has said that he would like to explore your NEW stomping grounds. Said it this summer, the one day he was home, "I'd like to go to Oregon sometime." No reason. Maybe he wants some Voodoo Doughnuts.

      Delete
  4. That looks like a big hill that hasn't seen rain in years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. California IS having a historical drought, you know. You hurricane people might not know about that. It's a shortage of rain. It would be safe to wear your new suede jacket there. No need to turn it inside out and show the pink-and-white striped lining.

      Delete
  5. Wild eyed rubes don't appreciate the gal. Oh, the gift and skills of the wondrous Val.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see what you did there. More than the rubes would ever do for me.

      Delete
  6. At least your Genius is making good use of his time. Our college genius who had a flight home scheduled for the weekend, decided to fly south-er to Cancun. Oh the fun begins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I call getting a jump on Spring Break!

      Delete