Thursday, May 21, 2015

Maybe I Should Ask If He Needs a Currycomb



The Pony is getting ready for his adventure at Missouri Boys State in early June. Except The Pony doesn’t really get ready for anything. He told me he needed a physical on the night before our school was having free physicals for next year’s athletes. With the papers being due by 3:00 on the afternoon before he told me that night at 9:30. Granted, he had just returned from his orientation meeting. But that info was on the website.

Lucky for The Pony that Val has pull with the powers who schedule school physicals. I got him and our other delegate worked into the schedule, with the official form they will need for MBS.

He also needs a suit. The Pony has never had a suit. Even Genius had his grandpa’s old suit for his sartorial needs when HE went to Missouri Boys State. I consulted Genius for fashion input. Genius just got his own new suit last summer, you know, to look sharp at interviews. The first thing Genius did was call The Pony upstairs.

“No. That’s not going to work. Go back.” Thus The Pony was dismissed back to the basement. “He’s too short. Grandpa’s suit won’t fit him. Do you think he’s done growing yet?”

“No. I don’t think so.”

“So you just want to get him a cheap suit.”

“Well. An inexpensive one. Because I don’t think it will fit him for more than a couple of years.”

“Okay. I’ll fix him up. The shirt, the tie, the works.”

“Good. Because I don’t know what a suit should look like. And we definitely don’t want your father picking one out. But remember, The Pony is not cutting edge like you. He just needs a classic, basic suit.”

“I can do that.”

“I was thinking we’ll just go to J.C .Penney for The Pony’s suit. I was looking online. How about Sharkskin or Charcoal Gray? Or basic black?”

“I’d say you can’t go wrong with gray. Don’t get black. That just screams ‘FIRST SUIT!’ Everybody goes for black with the first suit.”

Now The Pony needs to read his handbook about government branches and their duties, and make sure he has eight sets of clothing, because there will be no laundry facilities there. I’ll have to make sure he has enough shorts that have cargo pockets. The Pony isn’t one for stretchy athletic shorts. And I have a feeling slacks are not the unofficial uniform of Missouri Boys State. These delegates are not exactly HIS PEOPLE. But they are, perhaps, fourth cousins of HIS PEOPLE twice removed.

I’m not sure how much The Pony will enjoy this eight-day event.

There are no girls at Boys State.

5 comments:

  1. I was selected to go to Boy's State way back . . . but a tornado wiped out the campus where it was going to be held and it was canceled for that one year. I got a certificate any way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well. he'll just have to pine away for his "Lady" while he's there...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like quite an honor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you ask him if he wanted a seer summer suit?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Catalyst,
    What a rip-off by Mother Nature! I hope you feel that, much like being nominated is enough for those Oscar contenders, being selected was enough for you.

    *****
    Sioux,
    I am worried about his pining. There will be limited phone usage, about 30 minutes, I think, late at night. The Pony will be the piningest piner who ever pined.

    ******
    joeh,
    Pretty much. Genius is pretty much livid that The Pony was selected, feeling that HE was the only Thevictorian worthy. Genius is now on the technology crew, and travels the state doing fundraisers and orientation meetings as his busy college schedule allows.

    Linda,
    I did not. I might as well ask The Pony if he wants a Little Lord Fauntleroy suit, as that would have just as much meaning to him. He's not sartorially inclined.

    ReplyDelete