Friday, May 8, 2015

Different Strokes, All In Good Time

We all process our grief differently.

Certain things are hard for me right now. I mention them to The Pony as we drive to and from school. How I think of Grandma when we go by certain places. Or when I start to watch a Cardinals game, and I remember that I can't call to hear her criticize Mike Matheny the next day. And The Pony always says, "Awwww..."

The Pony doesn't talk much about Grandma. I guess he is handling it the best way he can, for a fellow who doesn't really care about people. Let the record show that he adored his grandma, even though he spent his time ensconced in pillows on the short couch, playing computer games on her high speed internet, her waiting on him hand and foot, every time she asked him to spend the night. And for someone who has no interest in helping people, The Pony sure insisted on carrying in her groceries every time they went to the store.

When she got sick at Thanksgiving, The Pony held out hope that she would get better and be her old self. She made a brief recovery, and he had a couple of good overnights at her house. But we could see in January that she was on the decline. The Pony, always a quiet kid, grew quieter.

Tuesday, we headed out to her house to check on things and turn on different lights. I usually let The Pony run in while I sit in T-Hoe. We had been busy and let this task slide for a week or so. It struck me as odd that The Pony asked me several times to confirm that we were going to Grandma's house.

"Yes. We can't go Monday, because I have a meeting. We'll go Tuesday, right after school. I have to go out to the bank, anyway. And we can check her mail."

As soon as The Pony came to my classroom after the bell, he said, "Are we going to the bank first, or Grandma's house?"

"It doesn't matter."

"Okay, let's go to Grandma's first."

When I pulled down in the driveway, The Pony sat behind me, not making his move to jump out.

"Uh. Mom? I noticed the last time we were here that Grandma still has a bunch of candy in those plastic tubs and the drawers of that dresser."

"Yes. We haven't had time to clean things out yet."

"Do you think it would be okay if I took some of that candy home?"

"Yes. She bought it for you. Every time she went to Dollar Tree, she'd ask me if you wanted anything."

"I know she did."

"Do you need to get a Walmart sack to carry it? There's one in the back. And I know she has some in the house."

"No. I put my packsack in the car this morning. The one they gave us on the college tour. Just in case you said yes."

"Sure. Grandma would want you to have it."

"I know she would."

Let the record show that The Pony is not a big candy eater. And that he has a stash at home left over from Easter. And that every now and then he asks for something when we do the weekly shopping. There is no shortage of candy around our home if The Pony wants to get his hooves on some.

The Pony was in Grandma's house a bit longer than usual. He came out with his pack stuffed with candy, grinning.

We all deal with grief in our own way.

8 comments:

  1. That candy is a connection to his grandmother. I wonder if he'll actually eat it, or just preserve it as a memory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This story made me catch me breath, to keep from welling up.

    I hope Sunday is not too hard for you and your family...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thinking the Pony cares a whole bunch about his grandma, and not just for the candy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is great that you have a wonderful sense of humor during this time, but frankly I am glad to see you open up a bit more on your loss, it is all right, we can sense how sad you are, just let it out.

    Hell, I miss your mom and I've never met her!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe that's why the Pony is such a sweet kid.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stephen,
    I think The Pony will slowly consume it, as he is ready. A few weeks ago, when his scholar bowl team went to a competition, he raided my classroom mini fridge for a Sprite. "Awww...this is the very last Sprite that Grandma brought me to keep in the refrigerator for after school." Then he drank it.

    ******
    Sioux,
    I stopped by the cemetery today and had a talk with Mom. She and my dad conveniently chose a plot between my home and Walmart! I figured a bunch of people might be there on Mother's Day, so I squeezed my visit in early.

    I'm pretty sure we'll be okay. Hick and The Pony have gone off to the state youth bowling tournament, and Genius is getting ready for finals this week. So I'll pretty much be on my own until Sunday evening. Which is fine with me. I'm a no-fuss kind of gal when it comes to celebrations.

    *****
    Leenie,
    Yeah. He misses her a lot.

    *****
    joeh,
    Sometimes it leaks out, sometimes I keep it corked. There are days I don't feel the least little bit like being funny, but there are others when I get a laugh out of stuff others might term too inappropriate to post here. According to Mom, I got my dad's sense of humor. She had to rein me in on occasion.

    Here is some of Mom's advice for you: May 1st has passed, so you can go barefoot now.

    *****
    Catalyst,
    I see what you did there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet. My 20 year old grandson, Gage, was in Minnesota when I made my trip (he lives in Colorado and I rarely get to see him) He was supposed to go to his Dad's the day after I arrived, but opted to stay because I was there. Meant so much to me. He even talked his old Gramma into a Tattoo!! A very small compass on my ankle, he says it is so we will always find our way back to each other. I REALLY love that boy!!
    I bet your mom was smiling down on the Pony as he gathered the candy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to think so.

      She would have done anything for those grandkids. Except maybe a tattoo. You are way cool!

      Delete