Thursday, September 10, 2015

Backroads High Dismissal Time Vignette

For those of you who don't have your finger on the pulse of today's youth, those of you who might assume they flounce about in poodle skirts and saddle oxfords, and dungarees with plain white t-shirts with the sleeve stretched out from a Marlboro hard pack...

Here is what you're missing.

Four young ladies walk down the hall after final bell. Four young ladies of driving age, not a care in the world, headed out to enjoy an afternoon of freedom. YL1 carries a clear cup with a straw. Perhaps it was a small soft drink, but more than likely it was at some point during the day an iced coffee. YL2 asks for a sip. "Sure, just a minute," says YL1. She proceeds to polish the tip of the straw with her shirttail.

"What are doing?" asks YL3.

"She's wiping off the straw! Are you blind?" says YL4.

"I ain't blind! I can't believe she's wiping off the straw. Do we have diseases now? I'll take a drink." With that, YL3 snatches the cup out of YL1's hands. She takes a big sip from the straw. "SEE? Nothing happened."

The other three young ladies cut eyes at each other.

"I was wiping off the straw to be nice," says YL1. "A few minutes ago, I picked my teeth with it."

Let the record show that YL3 veers quickly into the young ladies' restroom. A retching noise is heard through the non-door composed of a concrete-block maze.

"I guess she knows why now," says YL2.

13 comments:

  1. YL3 got what she deserved. No one should complain if someone wipes the can/glass/straw for another person. It's when they wipe it off before THEY drink again (after sharing it) that should get people like YL3 upset.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susie? Is that you? I think I picked up some kind of illness off my keyboard...Have you been in my office?

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. The formerly-iced coffee was just desserts.

      Delete
  3. This is a prime example of why illness spreads through a school faster than the Simian Flu across the globe at the end of "Rise of the Planet of the Apes."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet that was the most fitting lesson YL3 learned in school that day. Though she should be listening better in health class if she thinks straw-born illnesses strike instantaneously. Unlike gross-out illnesses....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope she learned not to be hasty and grabby and greedy.

      Delete