Tuesday, February 5, 2013

At Play in the Field of Dreams

Dreams are funny things.

One minute you might be cruising along with the windows down, drinking a long-neck with your deceased father riding shotgun. And the next you are giving students balloons to blow up as a reward, when one of them chokes and you are afraid to do the Heimlich maneuver because you lost your CPR card.

My dreams often deal with word play. I can't always remember them past the first few hours, but this one from Saturday has me stumped. I was in the middle of pranking someone by using three versions of a word. Homonyms. Homophones, to be precise. The words were:

lieu
Lou
loo

I have no idea from whence they sprang. Or where I was headed with my prank. I just find it odd that I would wake with those three words on my mind.

2 comments:

  1. Did Mr. victorian have your fingers sitting in a bowl of water? Was he letting the faucets run as you slept? Was he playing a waterfall CD to cause you to have an overwhelming urge to pee?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sioux,
    Surely you jest. That would require rising from his forced-oxygen slumber, locating a bowl in the kitchen where he feigns serving-implement ignorance, carrying the bowl from kitchen to bedroom without spilling all the water, and manipulating my arm like that of a mannequin. That's a sequence too tiring for Hick to even entertain mentally. The last CD he played was not exactly Water Music. It was a Monster Mash collection of Halloween tunes.

    ReplyDelete