Tuesday, April 9, 2024

Didn't Even Have to Fly My LearJet Up to Nova Scotia

Gotta say, yesterday's total eclipse of the sun was real, and it was spectacular! It was supposed to occur at 1:52 p.m. in Backroads, but was fashionably late. I dragged a kitchen chair out on the back deck, and was rassenfrassen about this event being a big bust. The partial solar eclipse in August 2017 was more impressive. But a couple minutes later, my nonexistent socks were knocked off.

The temperature cooled. The sharp-edged shadow of the roof on the porch gently faded until gone, and it was dark! Not black dark, like I'd need a flashlight. But deep, deep, dusk, darker than our standard for beginning to set off fireworks on the 4th of July. I could see the light shining out from the kitchen windows. I wish I had taken a picture of that! But no, it only lasted about 40 seconds, and I was mesmerized, and fighting off two dogs trying to crawl into my lap. Not because they were scared, but because they love me.

The Pony was planning to take his break at that time. Hick was over in Sis-Town, partying it up with the elderlies. They had a viewing party out on the sidewalk. Hick sent me a picture of his lunch:


I like the eyes and tongue on his sandwich, heh, heh! The menu said he was having:

Saturn Sandwich (Ham Salad)
Solar Salad (Spinach Salad)
Space Soup (Cheesy Broccoli)
Eclipse Cake or Fruit

I had forgotten the menu, and asked Hick what was in the bowl. He said it was potato soup. Probably didn't know the difference in cheesy broccoli and potato soup!

Hick also send me a picture of the festivities. I've not blocked his face this time, since he's already wearing sunglasses to disguise his identity!


Hick found his cap with a sunburst on it, and lettering that said, "Where were you August 1, 2017?" That was the partial solar eclipse. He was mad that he couldn't find his Area 51 t-shirt, which he got when he visited his brother in Las Vegas a few years ago.

Anyhoo... it was a memorable experience. Genius got a good picture in Pennsylvania, but I have not asked permission to show it.

12 comments:

  1. What an event huh? I'm glad to see that the elderlies and Hick got into the spirit of it all. Unfortunately we had gray skies and weren't in the total eclipse path. We would have had a partial eclipse to see except that our skies were a heavy gray all day so many people were disappointed in not being able to see any of the eclipse. It was nice to see it on TV though and to see the excitement of the people who were able to see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sad that your weather kept you from this rare event! At least you still had TV. The crowds passing through here had to endure 20 mph on the interstate, and some cars ran out of gas, as well as some gas stations.

      Delete
  2. We watched it on tv. Didn't see you. Or Hick. Blacked out, maybe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, heh! I am SHOCKED that nobody thought to put a camera on me. Hick said there was a drone hovering over them while they watched in front of the Senior Center. So he might actually have been on TV somewhere.

      Delete
  3. I love the little green aliens sitting on chairs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are cute. I think the suit on the alien guy is what he used to be The Grinch at Christmas. You notice that his head doesn't match the suit.

      Delete
  4. The clouds parted for our 89% view. Then, when it was almost over, the clouds closed again. It was spectacular. We drove to Nashville in 2017. The traffic was worse than an Iron Bowl Game traffic.

    The lunch is so cute. I am glad the seniors had a fun time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you got to see it. The Pony had an appointment over in Bill-Paying Town after work. It's about 10 miles for him, down the interstate. When he left there at 7:00, the highway (divided two-lane) was still backed up from people driving back to the city from the 2:00 eclipse. The Pony got off on an outer road as soon as there was an exit. Good thing you can't see the outer roads on each side while you're on the highway, or they might have been backed up too.

      Delete
  5. I was busy, I'll just wait for the next one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you'll have time to get a good pair of eclipse glasses. Don't get the women's frames, or somebody might call you Madam!

      Delete
  6. Nothing on my mountain, just looked like it does when a heavy cloud blocks the sun. Toni Louise did start barking at nothing, the other two slept and Dora bit my finger when I picked her up. It felt like a tiny saw blade, didn't break the skin. The weather forecastor in Atlants had said animals might act funny. Dora must have heard him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My fleabags didn't seem to be affected. They just wanted attention. Shame on Dora for biting the hand that feeds her and scrubs her shell!

      Delete