Friday, April 12, 2024

Hick, the Bargain Barterer

Hick enlisted The Pony to do his bidding without my knowledge. Of course, the secret didn't last long. A little Pony told me that Hick had asked him to purchase a notebook or some such electronic gadget, to keep track of his SUS2 (Storage Unit Store 2) inventory. Hick paid The Pony the price of the gadget. And in exchange for getting it set up, and teaching him how to use it, Hick took The Pony to lunch. Well. The Pony's lunch. But Hick's supper. Because he ate at the Senior Center at 11:00, and took The Pony to eat around 3:00.

They went to a local Mexican restaurant on Wednesday, The Pony's day off.


Hick had the Shrimp Fajitas.


The Pony had the Burrito Azteca, which was supposed to contain beef and chicken. In fact, the waiter asked specifically if The Pony wanted the chicken included, to which The Pony said yes. But since the inside was "all brown" according to The Pony, he thinks he did not get the chicken.

Anyhoo... The Pony is apparently not good at bargaining. He has agreed to update Hick's gadget regularly, in exchange for a lunch.

Let the record show that still, The Pony is a better bargainer than Val. I do Hick's business taxes, pay his monthly electric bill, send in necessary forms, address required envelopes, and order occasional promotional items.

MY meal for Wednesday consisted of Monday's leftover ham salad from the Senior Center, which Hick brought home on Tuesday:


That's a small container, same as the one that contained a piece of coconut cake Hick also brought me. I'm shocked that he ate the cake at lunch, since he does not like coconut. It actually had no taste. Just white cake with whipped cream icing with coconut sprinkled on top. Still, it was better than no cake.

8 comments:

  1. I agree that the Pony got the better pay! We are traveling and resting. In Perry, Ga tonight and had a wonderful meal at a Thai restaurant. I had leftovers that will be a nice lunch tomorrow before we see the babies in Pearson. They are walking now and harder to keep up with. after we visit them we will go on to my daughter's house in Homassasa. When you open her front door, you are in the atrium with a pool with a nice screen cover. Her son's wing of the house is off to the left and the other parts open to the pool with those accordion sliders. The only room that doesn't open to the pool is her office. I plan to catch on reading and relax!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good food, twin babies, and an "indoor" pool! You deserve this respite from your stove trials and the gout! Even Steven is looking out for you.

      Delete
  2. Sorry but that ham salad looks dis-gust-ing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was kind of my point. Hick and The Pony feasted, while I was left to survive on three-day-old ham salad. Nobody ever offers to bring me something from one of their meals out.

      Delete
  3. I am not at all shocked that Hick ate the cake. It's a sweet thing with frosting, so of course he is going to eat it, simply because he knows he shouldn't.
    I'm drooling at the plate of shrimp there, it's been YEARS since I had shrimp in any kind of meal. And I am also disappointed that neither of them thought to bring home a Mexican meal for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, if there's sugar in it, Hick will indulge! I'm not a big fan of shrimp, but I would have gladly accepted a take-home regular fajita.

      Delete
  4. The next time Pony and Hick have lunch, send along an order for your 'pay', too. I would not eat that ham salad if it is so old, and riding home to you. I wonder if it was kept really cold. You have got a real beef here. Oh, no beef for you. If the coconut cake had little, I would let him have the cake. Isn't he diabetic?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think two days is all that old for ham salad. It was made Monday, brought home Tuesday when it was one day old, and I ate some Wednesday when it was two.

      However... you can bet I asked Hick the details of its transport. The time he left the Senior Center with it, and whether he made any stops on the way. It was still cool when it got here. It's a 20 minute drive.

      Hick was in bed by the time I ate the cake. He is a regular sweets-eater. Nothing will deter him. Always points out that his A1C is fine at every checkup.

      Delete