Saturday, April 6, 2024

Never Let a Solar Eclipse Go To Waste

Backroads happens to be in the path for the total eclipse on April 8. I found out when I walked into 10Box a couple weeks ago, and saw that they had t-shirts on sale to commemorate the event. It's kind of a big deal. Our next "partial" solar eclipses will be in 2028 and 2029. I don't see anything about our next TOTAL solar eclipse.

Anyhoo... I can't blame the store for taking advantage of this rare event. Their display I saw on Friday was actually kind of cute. I didn't buy anything, but I took pictures.


From the right, they have Starburst candies, Orbit gum, Little Debbie Star Crunch, Little Debbie Cosmic Brownies, Sun Chips, Brachs Starlight Mints.


Again from the right, they have Sunny D drink, Milky Way candy bars, Starry lemon-lime soda. I don't get the Salted Pistachios, though their label proclaims them to be "Wonderful." And I was skeptical about the apples, until I read their pricing label, which called them Cosmic Crisp Apples. Oh, and behind the Brachs candies, you can see a box of Solar Viewing Glasses.

I'd say this is clever marketing! A tip of my non-existent hat to 10Box, for not letting a solar eclipse go to waste!

12 comments:

  1. I'd have a hard time resisting the goodies on that 10Box store display if I was on a trip to view the total eclipse. I just bought a bag of Cosmic Crisp apples for the first time at Aldi about a week ago and decided I like the Honey Crisp better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tempting items for me were the Milky Way candy bars, the Cosmic Brownies, and the Star Crunch. I'm a Little Debbie aficionado, but we already had Zebra Cakes at home.

      Delete
  2. The eclipse is a very big deal to me. I am not in total eclipse area. But, I have my eclipse glasses, real ones, not fakes.
    That is a great display. Maybe they could play Eclipse of my Heart by Bonnie Tyler. I think I read the next total eclipse will be in something like 2040. I won't be around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, maybe 10Box can play that song on eclipse day! They seem to understand the significance of this day.

      Delete
    2. By 2040 I'll be 87 and I hope I AM still around.

      Delete
  3. I've read that Krispy Creme is pushing a donut with a black Oreo cooking embedded in it's surface. And Sonic has a black slushie float on the menu for the big day. Supposed to be overcast and rain here that day. But we aren't in the direct path and only get a tad over 50 percent eclipse. Just another day in paradise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh! We don't have a Krispy Kreme in Backroads, but we do have a Sonic over in Sis-Town. I haven't heard about their slushy float. I will be out on the back porch deck watching, like in 2017. It didn't get black dark, but late dusk-esque.

      Delete
  4. Somebody obviously put quite a bit of thought into that clever display. I love Milky Way bars! I wonder if some people might pronounce pistachio as piSTARchio? as many Australians do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not heard anybody pronounce pistachio that way. I wonder if many Australians pronounce "salon" as "saloon," like Hannah Ferrier did on the early seasons of Below Deck Mediterranean.

      Delete
    2. Nobody I know says Salon that way.

      Delete
    3. Good to know! She did start saying it the "right" way in later seasons of the show.

      Delete