Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Val is Considering the Installation of a Moat Around Her Castle



Hey! Have you heard? I hurt my back on Sunday laughing at my mom. I may have been remiss in filling everyone in on that bit of news. I’ll try to do better next injury.

On my planned day off Monday, when I was laying around in the La-Z-Boy with my (non)broken back, trying to catch a breath, I was greeted by an intruder. Not so much greeted as startled.

There I was, nearly dozing off, or slipping in and out of consciousness after returning home from dropping The Pony off at school, when I was startled awake or into consciousness by a loud car. I saw it going up the gravel road, a red sports car leaving a trail of dust. And right behind it was a white pickup truck. The strange thing about the white pickup truck was that it turned into my driveway and proceeded to the house.

I was in no state to be answering the door. I had on my comfortable sweatpants with a hole on the left waist area (like mother, like daughter), and a pinstriped shirt that may or may not have been free of stains. And black socks. Besides, my aching back did not want to hoist itself out of the La-Z-Boy and cripple over to the door. I sat, mesmerized by the possibilities.

It could be someone lost and asking for directions, in which case I owed them nothing. This is a private enclave. Nobody should be in here unless they have the permission of a resident, in which case that’s their direction-giver.

It could be the package Genius was expecting. Except that UPS has a big brown truck, and FedEx has that white contraption that tears a trench in the yard because they won’t turn around on the gravel or the concrete carport behind the garage.

It could be a ne’er-do-well bent on robbing me blind. I would deal with that if I heard a door forced open.

It could be a salesman. Too bad, so sad. Signs say no soliciting. And no trespassing. I gave the World Book guy an earful one summer at 8:30 a.m. A salesman could knock on my door until the cows come home, and I would not get up to answer.

I was about ready to drag myself to the door to see what in tarnation was going on, but then the intruder saved me the trouble. Walked right across my front porch, past the living room picture window, past the porch pew, around the corner toward the doghouses. He was a big man. Burly. With long curly hair and a beard like that portly fellow on LOST, only blond. He did not glance left or right. Clomped right on past, as if on a mission. He made a return trip about two minutes later.

I can only surmise that he might have been the electric meter reader, though I thought that was all automatic now. Besides, he was not carrying a club to beat dogs off his shins, nor a gadget to scan meters, nor an ID tag around his neck. He DID favor the bright neon green plastic work vest favored by certain utility companies. His truck was not marked, but had a yellow light on top that could flash if needed.
If this was part of the universe’s conspiracy to spy on Val Thevictorian…I must say, the quality of spies is not all it’s cracked up to be. He was no 007, that’s for sure.

At least I remained untouched in my fortress, guarded by two non-barking dogs who did not give one whit about my safety in my weakened state.

I was a reclining duck, you know.

6 comments:

  1. It would seem that your guard dogs aren't worth their salt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe it was the cable guy you've been hiding from.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We now have a surveillance system. The screen splits into 4 and I can see who might be at my door, in my pool, robbing firewood, or actually standing in front of the counter. He Who loves to sit and watch when not entranced by the weather channel or Highway to Hell, the reality show on the weather channel about towing big rigs in Canada. He Who is not about complicated story lines, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You may have passed up an opportunity :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your dogs are as good of watchdogs as our dogs. The only thing my dogs are good for is shedding and dribbling water around their water bowl. What are YOUR dogs good for?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stephen,
    My guard dogs are also not worth their cat kibble.

    *****
    joeh,
    You must have me confused with my mom. She is the one hiding from the cable guy. I understand your identity dilemma. We both wear sweatpants with holes in them, and we both enjoy a healthy portion of slaw on a regular basis.

    *****
    Kathy,
    He Who would be in TV nirvana if he came to our school and saw the 16-panel surveillance screen hanging in the main office. He might finagle his way into pushing the buzzer to release the door lock when people ask to come in, if he brings the secretary some Chex Mix.

    *****
    Linda,
    On that opportunity, I think I'll pass. My sweet, sweet Juno does not need a new daddy.

    *****
    Sioux,
    My dogs are good for picking up ticks out of the woods (the chickens eat them out of the yard) and transporting them to the porch, where they fall off and explode. Maybe your dogs could come dribble a little water, and drop a little fur, and get that mess scrubbed up.

    ReplyDelete