Wednesday, May 7, 2014

The Latest Transgression

I've been having a mini vacation. A precious homebound staycation. Hick has been away on business for two days. TWO DAYS! Two days of mud not tracked in, poopy eggs not washed in my sink, the sheet not pulled from under me so he can wrap up like a burrito, the quilt not over my head, my stack of pillows undisturbed by alien armage before I retire, no trumpeting farts startling me from a sound sleep. It's been a little bit of paradise.

Of course Hick made sure to leave evidence of a couple of his shenanigans for me to discover while he was away. The first was that goose head mounted on the garage wall. The second was the replacement of a living room light with a bathroom light. Nobody bothered to tell me, though his little partner in crime was well aware of the act.

I turned on the living room lights Tuesday evening to read a couple of bills. Huh. Seemed like the light was dark. Darker than normal. I thought, perhaps, it was due to the shades I'd closed to keep the setting sun out of the living room. But the next morning, I was still in the dark. I made that comment to The Pony as we got ready to leave for school. "It sure seems dark in here this morning. Something is different."

"Oh. It must be that light Dad put in. He made me do it on a stool from the kitchen. There weren't any of the living room lights, so he got one of the bathroom lights. The one that goes over the tub. It's a different size."

Indeed. And a different wattage. Seems like about a 20-watt. Not an indoor flood. Since Hick never reads, he does not see the need to be able to actually SEE inside one's own home.

There are none so blind as those who try to read by a tiny dim bathroom light.

8 comments:

  1. Perhaps Hick wanted things dimly lit so you wouldn't pine away for the bright and shining star that he is?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be afraid; be very afraid of what he has up his sleeve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hick is certainly a character. Even gone he compels you to write about him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that last line! Ha. I love those mini-vacations too! We're so easy to please.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joeh has the perfect solution.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sioux,
    I'm sure that's it. So like Hick to worry about my welfare. He's a regular Father Teresa.

    *****
    joeh,
    I like my books robust, and full of paper. The Pony has TWO Kindles. I'm sure he would loan me one. But there's something about a real book that gives me a charge.

    *****
    Linda,
    If it's anything like what he has on his shoe soles, or in his pants cuffs, I want no part of it.

    *****
    Stephen,
    I'm not writing with him, I'm writing AT him.

    *****
    Lynn,
    It's inexpensive, too! Just leave me alone. That's all it takes.

    *****
    Catalyst,
    I think Joe might be getting a kickback from Kindle. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just came off a short stay-cation, too! Two of our kitchen lights burned out while he was gone, and I'm still waiting for him to change them (like I can't do it myself!) For some reason, in my mind, he is in charge of all lights!

    ReplyDelete