Thursday, April 17, 2014

Lunch Caters to the Young

We have a new delicacy in the Backroads High cafeteria. Not that I've tasted it myself, of course. I'm a lunch-bringer. But my cohorts ate it. They didn't even know how very special it was, until the first bite.

"Whew! That broccoli is spicy!"

"Yes, it is rather strong."

"Since when did we get cheese on our broccoli?"

"This is nacho cheese!"

Of course the rest of us chorused: "It's NOT YO CHEESE!" Because we're not mature. Not ready. Can't act like adults yet.

Perhaps the palate of the young is different from the palate of the old. But I think a more practical approach would be to drench that broccoli with syrup.

6 comments:

  1. Much like lipstick and a pig, you can put cheese on broccoli and it is still broccoli.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Broccoli and syrup. I'd say EEEEeeeeeeewwwww! if I weren't so mature and cultured.

    RE your Crow comment on my blog: Crows may be common but they're wild and crazy like people who live in the backroads. The ones who think it's funny to gather in a tree and scream bloody murder at six a.m. might be getting up close and personal to their own violent death.

    ReplyDelete
  3. joeh,
    But does the lipstick make the pig taste different?

    *****
    Leenie,
    And crows are HUGE. Like screaming velociraptors, strutting across the front yard like free-range chickens, making me look twice.

    I think kids will eat anything if you put enough syrup on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. At OUR cafeteria, the lunch ladies prepare casseroles of broccoli to make it palatable. They frizzle up the broccoli so that it's tender, adding bits of onion to add to the flavor. They then toss in cheese--real cheese--and bread crumbs. Finally, they drizzle on melted butter on top, and bake it til it's golden brown...

    ...at least that's how they prepare it in my mind. Reality is far crueler (but not as cruel as making the broccoli into conjoined twins with NOT YO cheese).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually, I luuuv broccoli. Boil it lightly in beef stock and blanch it to keep it bright green---yum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sioux,
    I'll bet your lunch ladies wear hairnets, too! In your mind.

    *****
    Stephen,
    Our broccoli is usually steamed. And I don't mean disgruntled. The teachers like it just fine plain like that, but the kids...not so much.

    ReplyDelete