Thursday, August 6, 2026

Telegraph, Telephone, Tell a Hick

Hick and I are not being treated well by The Universe. His phone went all wonky three days ago. He couldn't get it off SPEAKER. So EVERYBODY within hearing range (most of the population of Backroads) of his extra-loud volume could hear his business. Can't have that with incoming calls from Hick's Harem, heh, heh!

I took a look, because I'm such a techy, you know, and it seemed like he had the settings right. The Pony tried, and couldn't find anything amiss. Hick asked a total stranger (as opposed to an incomplete stranger) if he could help.

"I was in line at Lowe's, and this kid was behind me. I said, 'Do you think you can figure out what's wrong with my phone? I can't get it off SPEAKER.' And the kid said, 'Sure. I have that exact same phone.' He went into the settings, and tried to get it off, but nothing worked. So I'll have to take it to the phone store when I have time."

That time came on Tuesday, but according to Hick: "There was only one girl workin', and four people already waiting. So I just left. I'll go back tomorrow."

Which he did on Wednesday. I got a text at 1:04. "They fixed my phone."

I was having my own problems at the time, which is not a topic for today. When Hick came home, he told the story. Which was basically that he didn't know what got fixed.

"I got a guy who I think might have been the manager. He did a re-start. That didn't work. He said, 'I'm going to have to go a little deeper.' I don't know what he done, but now it works. I think maybe he said there was an update. But it's working now."

I am happy that worked out for Hick. We thought he might need a new phone [he does a lot of business with that phone, and you can't have people's names and SS numbers and personal info being broadcast during a call from the ATF]. Hick was hating the thought, because like me, he hates to learn anything new. And he didn't want to lose all his personal and business contacts that he has in the phone.

That said, I'd already mentioned to The Pony that Hick probably needed a re-start. He NEVER does one, and it's probably been a year since the last time. Looks like that wouldn't have fixed it, though. Maybe if he had been doing it at least once a month, that update would have come in on its own.

9 comments:

  1. New fangled contraptions and old people... as I write this my honey is asking me, "Now why won't my computer....?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just last night, Hick was whining that "I cain't do a thing with that laptop I have! All I want to do is write a document and file it. I cain't find nothin'! I need a mouse." I hope a mouse will solve his problem, but I have a feeling it won't. Yet Hick can store all sorts of stuff on his phone and find it.

      Delete
  2. I always re-start mine if something is whacky. I could ask for The Patient's assistance, but I have found that I might know more than him about everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only you could bottle your knowledge and sell it at a roadside stand! Like grapes along I-44! I wonder if they still do that. It was quite a thing back in the 80s. Kids earned college money that way.

      I have to re-start mine when it says I'm not registered on a network, and can only make emergency calls. Then it works fine for a while, after I close out of the "reporting firmware" thingy that pops up and never ends after a re-start.

      Delete
    2. Forgot to add that the grape stands were in the St. James area along I-44.

      Delete
    3. Grapes? Never saw that, and down here in the heart of Dixie they sell boiled peanuts roadside.

      Delete
    4. Seems like more work! You don't have to boil the grapes!

      Delete
  3. I don't think I ever restarted my old phone and not this newer new-to-me hand-me-down either. It tells me software updates are happening, usually overnight while it's plugged in to recharge and that's it.
    I hate learning new stuff, but seem to be okay now with this new laptop, though I still need to try inserting a picture in a blog post AND loading my music into Media Player.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you are compatible with your new laptop!

      Delete