Monday, August 17, 2026

Green and Purple Plaid Hair

While I was in line at the Gas Station Chicken Store on Thursday afternoon, a young woman came in the door. She had a little girl with her, maybe 6-7 years old. She looked around. At first I thought they came in for the bathrooms at the front by the door. But then she shooed the little girl over to the side of the counter, by the closed register. 

The Lady appeared to be in her late 20s. She started rummaging in her purse, and putting handfuls of coins on the glass counter. I stepped up to do my lottery business while she was counting her coins into stacks. The Lady turned to look at me.

"I love your shirt!"


"Thank you! Green is my favorite color, and I like pastels."

"It's my kind of thing."

That's when I realized that The Lady's hair was a match for my shirt! Her dark hair had wide strands of the green and purple running through it! It actually looked okay.

"Oh, I see what you mean. It matches your hair!"

"Yes! And I love that little purple car out there, too!"

Indeed, there was a matching car out at one of the gas pumps. I finished up my transaction, and The Lady told Fave (my favorite cashier), "I'd like $21.54 of gas on Pump 4."

I had been prepared to offer to pay if The Lady was short on her change. She gave off a good vibe.

2 comments:

  1. You can sprain your brain sometimes jumping to conclusions. You are so good hearted I thought you might swap shirts with her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, heh! I've never given the shirt off my back. But I don't mind giving a couple dollars to random people trying to buy the cheapest bottle of alcohol at 10:00 a.m., or people who wander around town on foot trying to buy a vape while I'm in Cheap Smokes for lottery tickets. I'm a soft-hearted enabler, I guess. I also don't mind chipping in for groceries, or giving a kid (with accompanying adult's permission) a dollar for the grabber machine. But this was my favorite shirt!

      Delete