Sunday, August 23, 2026

Hick Was Mown Away

Since Hick had surgery last week, our grass has continued to grow. He's not supposed to sit on hard surfaces, or get bounced around for a couple weeks. He last mowed the front yard/field and BARn field and adjacent road frontage of our other 10-acre plot on Wednesday before his surgery. Hick LOVES his zero-turn mower, and even in the oppressive heat, he kept the grass trimmed.

Anyhoo... Hick had HOS (Hick's Oldest Son) mowing the yards of the properties in town. They're the most urgent. Especially Lap House, which is over in Sis-Town, where the mayor is not a fan of Hick. It wouldn't surprise me if she carries a ruler to stop by our properties there to see when she can send out a nuisance letter, heh, heh! 

The plan was for HOS to come out here and mow on Wednesday, but it rained a lot on Wednesday morning. The grass wasn't dried out by 1:00. Too wet to mow efficiently. Of course that rain helped the grass grow some more. Thursday was no good for HOS, because he had a previous appointment and couldn't get away in time. 

Friday morning, Hick was off to his SUS2.5 (Storage Unit Store 2.5). I asked if HOS would be mowing in the afternoon, since Hick only stays until noon on Fridays. "I don't know. If I can get ahold of him, maybe."

Around 12:10, I heard mowing in the front yard/field. I waited for Hick to come inside, but he didn't. I figured he had HOS mowing, and he was puttering around over in the BARn or the Freight Container Garage. I went about my business at the kitchen table, innernetting on HIPPIE. I saw the zero-turn mower come around the end of the garage to mow the back yard. I looked to make sure it wasn't Hick! Nope. Jeans when he was in shorts. A bright orange shirt when he was wearing white. And a bucket hat, when he always wears a cap. I noticed that HOS was mowing really fast. But there's a lot of grounds to cover.

At 2:00, I got a text from Hick:

"Our neighbors mowed the grass for us."

"Wow! Why?"

The person I had assumed was HOS was not HOS at all! I had to call for more details. Hick said he was coming home with HOS to mow, and saw two of our neighbors mowing, with the front yard/field, the BARn field, and the next plot almost done. He stopped to talk to them. Nabe 1 said they wanted to help out. Hick offered to pay for the gas they'd used, but they declined.

"Earlier in the day, I had put something on my Facebook about having surgery, and not being able to do anything physical for a couple weeks. But that my shop was still open. Nabe 1 sent me a message asking if I was okay. I told him I was. He said he was worried, because of how I never let our grass get that high. That was the last I talked to him. He didn't say anything about mowing."

When Hick got home later that evening, he put a message on the Facebook page of our enclave, naming those two neighbors, and thanking them for the mowing. Our across the road neighbor put a message in response. "Hick Thevictorian, you have the nicest lawn of anybody in our association! If you ever need anything, let us know. We can mow your yard for you next time." Hick thanked her, but said he would use HOS, who had already been contracted to do the mowing.

What a nice gesture from these neighbors. We are not close with any of them, but they're stand-up guys who occasionally talk to Hick. What goes around comes around, and Hick's good-deeding has come home to roost. The only loser is HOS, who was expecting to earn some money. I'm pretty sure he'll get over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment