I got a phone call Monday morning around 10:30. It was on my cell phone. The screen said Privte Caller. Normally, I would not answer such a call. But with Hick galivanting about three towns just four days after surgery, I didn't want to take a chance on it being related to something Hick-ish.
The lady on the phone asked for Hick. First name and last name.
"He's not here."
"This is Someone Somebody with Such-and-Such Bank. I'm calling to talk to Hick about a deal we're working on for him. What is your name?"
"I don't know why you need to know MY name."
"Who am I speaking with? Are you Hick's spouse? Or his mother?"
[What in the NOT-HEAVEN??? Hick's mother has been dead since before I met him. Hick is 72 years old. Do I sound like a woman in her 90s?]
"This is his wife. But there's no reason to give you my name."
"Okay. I was just looking for what to call you instead of Mr. and Mrs. Thevictorian."
[What's wrong with THAT? It seems to be a common practice in the business world.]
"Now, can you tell me Hick's birth date?"
"No. Why would I tell you that? I'm not giving out that information to somebody who calls me."
"Well, I already have it. I was just asking you to verify it, to make sure I'm talking to somebody who has a right to this information."
"There's no way I'm giving you that information. Calls like this are usually scams, and I don't need to tell you anything personal. I don't know of any 'deal' he would be working on with you. Why don't you just call HICK? He has a phone..."
"All right then. You have a good day."
AS IF anybody would give out that kind of stuff to a random caller they never heard of! One who blocks the number they're calling from. If it was an actual business, there's no need to show a Private Caller.
Of course I called Hick, and asked if he was working on some kind of deal with a bank. You never know with his business. But since I take care of all his paperwork, you'd think I would have a clue.
"Nope. I ain't doin' no business with no bank. Nobody's called me."
"If somebody calls, don't give out any information! Heh, heh! She asked if I was your MOTHER!"
"That would be quite a surprise, talking to her!"
"Yeah, I know! There's probably not good reception six feet under. If she really had your birth date, would she have assumed she was talking to your MOM? That's crazy."
So strange, that such a stranger would have MY phone number, and not Hick's, the person she's working on a deal with, and has his birth date...
This is exactly how they scam people! Some folks will just give that information away. :'( so glad you caught on right away!
ReplyDeleteI wonder what else she was going to ask! Probably SS# and financial accounts! And why should I tell Hick to call HER? She could have left a voicemail for him. IF she had his birth date, you'd think she also had his phone number.
Delete