Saturday, January 11, 2020

Sing a Song of Pick PENCE, to Kick Off a New Year Seeking Val's Future Pennyillionaire Fortune

Val's New Year got off to a good start, with a little surprise waiting for her at the Gas Station Chicken Store.


I didn't expect to find a penny on New Year's Day, but the penny had other ideas. Not a flashy specimen, but my well-trained penny-finding eye couldn't miss it. There! Near the middle of the picture, at the edge of the shadow, just above the cracks.


It was a heads-up 2016, with Mr. Lincoln a bit foggy-headed.
_____________________________________________________________________

Just two days later, on FRIDAY, January 3, I was pleasantly surprised by a double-coining at the Sis-Town Caseys. COINcidentally...I had just stopped by the cemetery for my weekly chat. So the DIME and PENNY made sense to me. Dimes remind me of Dad, since I found them all over my house in the weeks after he passed away. And pennies remind me of Mom.


The dime was a heads-up 2017


And the penny a 2018, face down.


Looks to me like the Sis-Town Casey's is fast approaching Orb K levels of cleanliness.

___________________________________________________________________

TUESDAY, January 7, I was leaving the School-Turn Casey's when a penny caught my eye.


Obviously meant for me! Good thing I rescued him before that vacuum got started up!


It was a heads-up 2010. Old Abe is looking mighty rough on this indoor penny.
__________________________________________________________________

THURSDAY, January 9, I stepped out of T-Hoe at Orb K, and was greeted with a special gift:


There it is, a heads-up 2009, shining near the middle of the picture. I got a close-up, but it was only a shiny glare, no detail. Due to the film of light mist that was falling at the time. But I got a close-up on my kitchen counter, because


...who knew that 2009 pennies have a likeness of Ol' Log-Splittin Abe sitting his backside on a big timber on the back side? Not this old Val! I don't see many of these, though I imagine they're common.

In future weeks, I will only include last year's totals with my 2020 running coin total. But for now, we'll include the complete history.
__________________________________________________________________

2020 Running Total
Penny     # 1, 2, 3, 4.
Dime       # 1.
Nickle     0
Quarter  0

2019 TOTALS
Penny     134
Dime        20
Nickel        8
Quarter      5

2018 TOTALS
Penny  131
Dime     17
Nickel     6
Quarter   1

2017 TOTALS (Started in March, 2017)
Penny  78
Dime     6
Nickel   0
Quarter  0
__________________________________________________________________

4 comments:

  1. 2009 pennies were very low production, but still probably not worth extra unless in mint condition. Look for a rare striking error on the Lincoln on a log penny between his thumb and forefinger. Otherwise the penny is worth a penny, even though you do not often see them in loose change or on a store floor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will do some research and dig out my magnifying glasses to see if my Old Abe is "striking."

      Delete
  2. That's a good start to the year, hope it keeps up so you can be a pennyillionaire sooner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm pleased with the start. Of course I'm also hoping for a rare 16-penny day like I had down by the mailboxes in 2019...

      Delete