Friday, January 10, 2020

Spicing It Up, the VAL Way

Nothing ever goes right for Val. Please take a moment to rest your crazy temple twirly finger, and turn it into the world's smallest violin for a pity party serenade.

While in Save A Lot this week, I picked up a new jar of Minced Garlic. It's the brand I always get, for adding to soups and chili and chicken & noodles and ham & beans and spaghetti sauce. It's pretty versatile, and easy. Yes. I'm sure many of you crush or mince your own fresh garlic, when you're taking time out from not-watching TV, and hosting think-tanks with your closest friends, to solve all of the world's problems. I just run to the kitchen between reality shows, and put a spoonful of this minced garlic in my canned-food concoctions.

Anyhoo...as I was standing at my cutting block, opening the lid on my jar of minced garlic, so shrinkage from the cold of FRIG II wouldn't thwart my arthritic fingers when I wanted to use it...I noticed that there was a rough patch on the label.


Not a big deal, until I noticed that the rough patch was SLIMY! And the clear plastic ring that fits around the lid had slipped down. My jar of minced garlic was leaking if tilted! I removed the clear plastic, and turned the lid. It did not give me that satisfying WHOOSH. So I tossed that jar of minced garlic in the wastebasket! Sure, it might have been okay. I don't think anybody deliberately tampered with it. But HOW LONG had it not been vacuum-sealed? I'm not taking any chances on spoiled garlic. Although it's probably like honey, and won't go bad.

Anyhoo...as you might imagine, my hands had quite a fragrance after that garlic-handling. So I went to the sink, to use the bottle of Bath and Body Works soap that my sister gave me last Christmas. It's called 'Tis the Season, and according to the label, has the fragrances of Red Apple, Fresh Cinnamon, and Cloves. It smells delicious. I'll admit to sniffing my hands like Molly Shannon as Mary Katherine Gallagher. After I use that soap, NOT after putting my hands in my armpits!

Well. This whole garlic debacle totally ruined my smelly-good soap. I'm sure Bath and Body Works will never make a version with the scents of Red Apple, Fresh Cinnamon, Cloves, and Garlic. On the bright side, I felt pretty much immune to vampire attacks.

7 comments:

  1. I've decided this year to spend more time not watching TV and more time solving the world's problems...except of course for PBS, nature shows and anything Oprah. My Italian wife will not eat anything garlic, I demand a DNA test!

    Honey if left in the light may not go bad, but it does start to get more gooey sugary and less honey runny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a good New Year's resolution for you! It will allow you to be more in touch with the majority of people who leave comments on the innernets...

      You realize that my blog does NOT screen out vampires, right? So you might be endangering Mrs. C by revealing that info. Better sharpen some wooden stakes and rent a new storage unit to keep them until needed.

      The Pony told me that honey has been found in Egyptian tombs, and is still edible. Not sure I'd be doing the taste test. Of course, The Pony might have inherited Hick's penchant for declaring many things as fact, secure in the knowledge that his statements can't be disproved.

      Delete
    2. Honey has been found in ancient places, completely sealed so unexposed to air which makes it completely edible still. and joeh, honey does not need to be left in the light to go sugary, that can happen even if an unsealed jar is left forgotten at the back of a cupboard.

      Delete
  2. Sorry you had to throw away a whole jar of garlic. Do you have a spare? Or do you only buy one jar at a time? did you notice anything when you bought it? Perhaps The Pony tried to open it while he was there? My daughter with your name buys her crushed garlic in 1kg jars and goes through about 4 a year. I buy only 1 jar (1kg) and put most of it in ice cube trays so it doesn't spoil before I can use it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have an upside down squirt bottle of minced garlic in the door of FRIG II. For when getting out a spoon and unscrewing a lid is too much trouble! I don't keep a spare jar, as I find that even a small one lasts me six months or so.

      Of all the jars in the display, THAT is the one that I picked! I didn't feel or see anything amiss. I bought it after the boys had already left. So it's totally my fault. I picked up another one at Walmart this week. Looked it over good before putting it in my cart!

      Your daughter must really like garlic! Or cook a lot more than I do. That's probably it.

      Delete
    2. They both cook a lot in that house, both with garlic and one also uses a lot of chilli sauces and powders. He likes the heat. Actually all four of my kids like to cook.

      Delete
    3. Genius likes to cook. The Pony likes to order out.

      Delete