Thursday, January 22, 2015

Who Knows, He Might Turn Out To Be a Cop



The Pony kicks off his Scholar Bowl season this evening, with three matches against local schools. He has anticipated this day since August. Possible even since last April, at the end of the previous season.

Let the record show that The Pony will not be unprepared. The bus leaves at 3:15, with the first match starting at 4:00. No time to stop for sustenance. In past years, the coach has let the team members partake of the snacks for the after-school programs before boarding the bus. One snack. One drink. However…The Pony does not like milk, so the drink is out. The snack depends. He’ll only eat a few of the offerings. Instead, he opted to bring a slice of last night’s Domino’s cheese pizza, and a donut from Casey’s that he picked up this morning.

Yesterday morning, I had to stop by Casey’s for a scratch-off ticket. No, I’m not that addicted. But I wanted to put it in a card for Genius. His grandma used to send him a card every week, with six dollars enclosed. His freshman year it was five dollars, but apparently the old gal gave him a COLA. With her out of commission of late, I know she would want me to send Genius a card and money.

Last year I send Genius a card every now and then, with lottery tickets. He complained that he never won, and that at least Grandma’s money was a sure thing. “She gives you cash, I give you hope.” He agreed, after hitting it big with a $20 winner. That’s like a month’s salary to a college kid.

Anyhoo…The Pony went in with me yesterday for a donut. Two. He wanted one to put in his lunch. Yes, that’s allowed at his school. The lunch police are lax during third lunch shift. He ate one for breakfast. Not a lunch policeman, a donut. In fact, he said, “You know I had that first donut eaten before we even got out of the parking lot.” So this morning he got four. Two for breakfast, one for lunch, and one for the pre-Scholar snack. I might consider this unhealthy, but he’s a sixteen-year-old boy going without supper until after 7:00 p.m. That’s an eternity for a kid.

Here’s to wishing Genius a little winner, and The Pony a big win. Val lives vicariously through her spawn.

8 comments:

  1. I hope they win, but I know they'll make you proud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, did you swim upriver, almost twenty years ago, to spawn, narrowly avoiding the bears?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good grief, I must get to the eye doc. I thought you had written, "Here's to wishing Genius a little wiener and Pony a big one. I thought you meant hot dogs of course, since you were talking about crap food (donuts reside in me and on me). Hope they both won big!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just hope Pony doesn't go to sleep with all those donut carbs in him.

    And I always hope for a lottery winner but like the guy who sells me my weekly ticket says: It's a guaranteed winner. Either for you or the state.

    ReplyDelete
  5. joeh,
    I thank you and my spawn thanks you. Now keep those fingers and toes crossed indefinitely.

    *****
    Stephen,
    Spoken like a true spawner himself. You are correct, sir.

    Genius's ticket is still in transit, or in the storage locker of a portly mailman. The Pony's team won two out of three. Ain't bad.

    *****
    Sioux,
    Back in my day, we swam up river both ways, in floodwaters, dodging black bears and brown bears and grizzly bears--a whole cornucopia of Bubba-Gump-listed bears, and we LIKED it!

    *****
    Linda,
    Perhaps you need more wiener. The hot dogs, of course. Now I think I'll make up some T-shirts to sell on the counter of my proposed handbasket factory, like those cowbell shirts. "Needs More Wiener."

    *****
    Catalyst,
    Funny how The Pony did not want a donut this morning when I offered to take him by to get one.

    You can't win if you don't play!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe I will send He Who to grab some scratch-offs. My competitor across the interstate won $75,000!!!!! That might pay for the well!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I guess you just live on the wrong side of the interstate!

      My best luck is on the $5 scratchers. I go to molottery.com to see which of the five dollar tickets have the most good prizes. Like how many $100 prizes are left, or $500 prizes. Because that's the best odds. If I win that kind of prize, I can play more. I don't count on winning one of the few jackpots, just the smaller ones that are more abundant.

      Delete